Fuses on 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fuses on 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
chiptoohey
1996 ZJ 

Fuses on 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

My problem was that the back up lights. the turn signals and the visual display all went out at the same time. The shop replaced a fuse they said was under the fuse box on the passenger side. Does anybody know about this fuse? Exactly where it is and what type, amperage. This fixed the problem too. I can find nothing about this fuse anywhere. Any ideas?? And what might make this fuse blow out. The shop was installing a lockup solenoid and harness. And they said they did not need to disconnect the battery cable. 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Thanks.

Last edited by chiptoohey; 05-24-2013 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: added things
chiptoohey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

You sold post this in the ZJ forum your in the WJ forum right know.
The folks in the ZJ forum might be able to help
Jrboarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
chiptoohey
1996 ZJ 

ok sorry I will do that thanks I am new here.
Unread 05-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

No problem, your not the first person to do that
Jrboarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptoohey View Post
My problem was that the back up lights. the turn signals and the visual display all went out at the same time. The shop replaced a fuse they said was under the fuse box on the passenger side. Does anybody know about this fuse? Exactly where it is and what type, amperage. This fixed the problem too. I can find nothing about this fuse anywhere. Any ideas?? And what might make this fuse blow out. The shop was installing a lockup solenoid and harness. And they said they did not need to disconnect the battery cable. 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Thanks.
Wait so the shop blew the fuse or they just fixed your blown fuse as they were installing a lockup solenoid/harness?

Do you still have the owners manual? Mines outside and really dont want to go get it but it shows which fuse in that panel goes to what.

terrible picture, sorry blurry, but this is the fuse panel interior of the 95. I'd assume it's the same in the 96-98?

Lot's of different things that blow fuses.
Unread 05-25-2013, 05:18 AM   #6
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

93-95 has Fuse Block located at right end of dash.

96-98 has Junction Block located behind right side kick panel.

Blown Junction Block Fuse#6 (15 amp) would do it. But that circuit only has power with the key ON.

Perhaps they shorted the harness.

96 Junction Block...

KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
chiptoohey
1996 ZJ 

When I took it to the shop these three things worked fine and when I picked it up they did not work. So I assume the shop in some way blew the fuse. They took the responsibility to find the problem and fix it. Stating it was a fuse UNDER the fuse block on the passenger side kickplate with all the other fuses in it. I thnk maybe not disconnecting the battery and having to drop the valve box and disconnect some electrical plugs maybe blew the fuse, I don't know. They said they had no idea either. The electrician at the shop tested all the fuses under the hood while I watched and also in the block on the passenger side kickplate.They all tested OK. The fuse he found and replaced he said was not visable until he removed the fuse block on the passenger side. I was not there at the time it was found and replaced.
Unread 05-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
chiptoohey
1996 ZJ 

KoreaZJ, so the #6 15a fuse is seen after the cover is off or must you take off the whole kick panel. This fuse blown would cause the back up lights, the turn signals and the visual displays to not work? Thanks
Unread 05-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #9
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

No hidden fuses, just remove kick panel.

With key ON, Junction Block Fuse#6 (15 amp) supplies power to...

Electronic flasher (turn signals), VIC, DRL, Neutral Safety Switch (at tranny for reverse lamps), overhead console, and auto day/night rear view mirror.

Junction Block...

Fuse terminals...

(pics by MyKeyB)

No hidden fuses.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #10
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Cool pics
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
chiptoohey
1996 ZJ 

KoreaZJ, what great pictures. That answers my question 100%. I bet they did short the harness because they didn't disconnect the battery during the install. I asked the tec and he said it was not necessary to disconnect it. Taking off the kick panel is the trick. There is a lot more under there than under just the fuse block door that unsnaps. The pictures are so good I am going to see if I can print them. Thanks for solving the mystery for me.

Last edited by chiptoohey; 05-25-2013 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: added
Unread 05-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #12
chiptoohey
1996 ZJ 

KoreaZJ, Do you happen to know this. On the diagram you posted of the front of junction block what does CB3 20A control? CB1 20A and CB2 20A if you might know? Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me, awesome help.
Unread 05-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #13
coralman
new wrangler prototype

1998 ZJ 

Korea eats primary wire with his spaghetti sauce instead of noodles

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #14
chiptoohey
1996 ZJ 

Ha Ha Ha And uses fuses as croutons in his salad. Just in fun Korea!!
Unread 05-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #15
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

Yeah. Korea is the man when it comes to zj electrical systems. And there is definetly no hidden fuses in the junction block. lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.