Fuse #16 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fuse #16

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 02-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #16
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

OK Nate, I just went back over your old thread and now I remember your problem.
Don't jump around making new threads for the same problem. You'll make us nuts.
Did you try pulling the #7 fuse in the JB ???
Did it solve the draining problem you were having??????

JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #17
Nate620

Yes so that's what I wanted to know ... Now I'm 95% sure that fuse is wired to the switch on my dash and when I say wired I mean instead of a fuse that has the two prongs I. That fuse slot there's 2 wires that have prongs on the end going into the 2 slots... Wondering if this could be where my problem is for my battery draining...

And no I haven't - I haven't had the chance to do anything yet I plan on doing that tomorrow - the jeeps been sitting with the battery disconnected because of this problem, I just today opened the fuse box to see that... And sorry about the different post.
Nate620 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #18
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

It doesn't look like it should have any effect on your draining problem, but here is the rest of the diagrams for you to study.
One thing that is connected to that circuit that could cause a drain is the rear cargo light switch. If that switch is on it would drain the system.
What about that F#7???????
16e.png   16f.png   16g.png  
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #19
Nate620

Where is the rear cargo light switch? If we're thinking of the same light I don't think that light ever worked, even with the switch that's connected to that fuse on
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #20
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

The lens is the switch. Pushing up on it turns it on and off.
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #21
Nate620

Okay so I went out and checked lights and this is what I found out - fuse #16 is connected to the switch located on my dash, with switch 'off' none of the lights work at all, when switching the lights on they work for when you click the lenses/ open doors Besides my hatch and drivers door - they don't trigger the lights on, also of the jeep isnt running and i turn the switch on the interior lighrs go on and wont turn off when clicking the lenses... Now for fuse 7 I'm disconnect it now and will come out late on tonight and see how it is as if it was draining my battery I'd be able to hear it when I turn the key...
Unread 02-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #22
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

From what I can understand from what your saying, is that there are 2 wires (one from one side of the fuse and the other wire connected to the other side of the fuse). The two wires are connected to the switch.
Correct.????

If this is the situation, what you have is, the previous owner was having problems with the interior lights shutting off after the Jeep was shut off. He tried to fix the problem by installing a switch that would control the courtesy lamp relay. That would shut the lights off, but wouldn't stop the BCM from seeing that one of the doors were open due to a bad switch or a switch that was not fully actuated.

What you will have to do (in that situation) is to remove the 2 wires to the fuse and install the 10 amp fuse that belongs there and locate the defective switch or repair that hanging door (hinge) so the the BCM can fall asleep after the courtesy timer drops out and shuts the interior lights off.

When any off those switches are actuated (doors closed) the switches are actually in a disconnected state. When the doors are open the switches make contact and turn on the Body Control Module's courtesy timer, that will turn on courtesy relay.

The way the BCM works, is that if one of the doors are open or one of the switches is shorted or sticking, it makes the BCM think that the lights need to be turned on. After a period of time, the lights will go out regardless as to the state of the switches (doors open or closed) to conserve the battery's power. But the BCM will still be active drawing the 180 ma, sucking the life out of the battery overnight. The courtesy timeout is about 1 minute. The battery conservation, takes a few minutes longer before the lights go out.

Like I said before, if pulling fuse #7 stops the drain it is more than likely that one of the door switches (or ajar switches) is defective.

That f #7 disconnects the power to the BCM preventing it from staying awake and causing the drain.

I might not be able to go back online for awhile, I've got to fix this damn laptop. It's crashed twice while posting this response.
I hope this helps.......
Unread 02-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #23
Nate620

Okay so since Sunday I've had fuse #7 pulled and the battery has not drained( I started it up once a day making sure it wasn't dead but only ran for under 30sec every time)... Now how can I go about finding the problem that fuse is having?
Unread 02-28-2013, 07:01 AM   #24
Nate620

That's the fuse box, those yellow /purple wires are the wires that go from the switch on my dash to fuse #16
image-1942707165.jpg  
Unread 02-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #25
TheRealOldjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate620 View Post
That's the fuse box, those yellow /purple wires are the wires that go from the switch on my dash to fuse #16
LOL - so they are just using the switch as a disable for the circuit. The switch bridges where the fuse used to be. Hopefully they put a fuse inline on one of those wires.
97 TJ 2.5L/30RH - daughters car

www.oldjeep.com My site
TheRealOldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #26
Nate620

Well either way I don't think that's the problem, I've had fuse #7 out and there seems to be no problem with the battery drained as the jeep starts right up. And yeah someone hacked that in, I bought the jeep for a steal last January so I'd say I got my use out of it, just trying to fix it now before I give up and scrap it lol
Unread 02-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #27
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

The 2 wires and switch was the previous owners way of trying to eliminating the drain. He was trying to control the interior lights with that switch. Remove the wires and the switch, the replace the fuse with a 10 amp replacement.
If it takes some time to locate the problem, you can pull the #7 fuse to stop the drain and control the BCM.
If your door hinges are good and the switches check out good, you'll probably find that one of the rear hatch ajar switches are bad. They get corroded in that area and contacts fail in an actuated state. Here is what one of our members found on his....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/f...ts-not-714931/

and heres a diagram of the hatch
1.png  
Unread 02-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #28
Nate620

Reading that link I will add that my liftglass does not work on my hatch, ever since I bought the jeep I've tried opening it and its never worked - aside from that I think the drivers door is the other thing I could think is the problem because of the sagging door hinges - any link on how to fix that? I was told by a mechanic that it'd be a 'big' job to do but I'm curious as to hard that is.

besides that liftglass everything on the hatch works, and also how can I go along to find if the drivers door is the problem? I did have the sensor removed as I said earlier in this post so that while I was driving the screen on the middle of my dash wasn't flashing showing the drivers door open and the buzzer going off...
Unread 02-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #29
TheRealOldjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sagging door hinge - just did that a couple weeks ago. Relatively easy to do yourself
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...cement-506080/

On the liftglass - when you press the rubber switch above the license plate it doesn't unlatch the glass?
97 TJ 2.5L/30RH - daughters car

www.oldjeep.com My site
TheRealOldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #30
Nate620

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealOldjeep
Sagging door hinge - just did that a couple weeks ago. Relatively easy to do yourself
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...cement-506080/

On the liftglass - when you press the rubber switch above the license plate it doesn't unlatch the glass?
Yeah it doesn't unlatch it at all... And also those wires do have a inline fuse on them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.