FULLY Charged Battery, but NO POWER - - - At all!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > FULLY Charged Battery, but NO POWER - - - At all!!

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 02-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
killKIRK

FULLY Charged Battery, but NO POWER - - - At all!!

OK, the ZJ has been sitting for a couple months. I went to start it last week and nothing. I figured the battery was drained, even though it was new and I didn't have a drain before, but...

So I went out this morning and hooked up the battery charger. The battery was still fully charged. I tried to start it again and nothing. Really nothing, as in no power to anything. I did a cursory check of the under-hood fuses, but nothing is obviously blown.

Feeling dumb. What am I not thinking of?

Thanks!

killKIRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
gactech
1998 ZJ 

Ignition switch? What about door lights? Are they working?
gactech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

If you no headlites,see if it has a fusible link of some sort,it may be burnt
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

check all your wires, make sure its not something stupid like a loose ground or something

like previously asked do you have any lights or anything? check your wires down to your starter and if you are just looking at your fuses go buy a test light and with the key on EVERY fuse should have power to it on both sides, if they dont then check the wires coming out of your fuse block to the battery/motor and make sure its not corroded or somethings stupid like that. just think the basics dont over look and OVER investigate things
1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
killKIRK

Nope, no lights. Power door locks don't activate. Nothing.
Unread 02-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

ok i would start by taking a test light and touching all your fuses make sure you have power to both sides, if you still have no power then check the power wire thats going to the fuse block check that for power, if nothing there follow that wire back to the next point of contact. eventually youll find the problem. you have to have power stopping somewhere, if all your power sides have juice running to them, then start checking all your grounds. hook your test light to the power on the battery and check the negative side of the battery (power?) if yes follow the wire down to the next contact point, and keep tracing till you find no ground/power. thats where i would start if i was you. id be safe to say that if you have a good battery and nothing is apparent like a broken wire or something then you more then likely blew a fuse and didnt notice it? trust me its dumb but take a test light and check every single fuse and both sides of it. my jeep didnt start for a few days and come to find out with the test light that i had a blown fuse and couldnt tell cause its a super super small break and couldnt see it
Unread 02-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Two thing come to mind... rodents and park neutral switch.
ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

You might want to first check your battery terminals. It may sound dumb but I spent ten years working a parts store and I fixed lots of peoples "bad batteries" by just taking the terminals off running a terminal brush in the terminals and on the posts and hooking things back up. It's not just the big puffy white lead oxide you have to worry about, the posts also form lead hydride IMS, it's dark grey and hard/brittle. Both are not very conductive. I've seen plenty of relatively clean looking terminals that are nasty on the inside once you get them off the battery.
zjosh93 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
You might want to first check your battery terminals. It may sound dumb but I spent ten years working a parts store and I fixed lots of peoples "bad batteries" by just taking the terminals off running a terminal brush in the terminals and on the posts and hooking things back up. It's not just the big puffy white lead oxide you have to worry about, the posts also form lead hydride IMS, it's dark grey and hard/brittle. Both are not very conductive. I've seen plenty of relatively clean looking terminals that are nasty on the inside once you get them off the battery.
thats what im thinking, sounds like its something small or stupid hes just overlooking.
Unread 02-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I had a 95 Cutlass Supreme that did that. With each progressivly harder blow to the fuse box, it seemed to send a little more power to stuff each time until it finally had enough juice to turn over.
Unread 02-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #11
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

Make sure terminals are good. I had that issue with a slightly cracked ground terminal. That is probably your problem, that or the fuses
Unread 02-26-2012, 06:54 AM   #12
ZJMTL
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
This. Mine wouldn't start at all today, same as you, so I took some baking soda to the terminals and connectors and she's as good as new now.
ZJMTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
killKIRK

OK, so it gets dumber. The battery and cables are new (this is why I was so confused by the symptoms), but I checked the connections anyway. Tested every fuse, no power anywhere. The charger was on overnight and the gauge on it indicated that the battery was full charged. The only thing that made sense was a dead battery, so I picked up a new charger, hooked it up. Apparently the old charger was toast because the new one indicated that the battery was DEAD. I charged it for a couple hours and VROOM! All is good. Relying on one piece of technology is a bad idea.

Dumb!
Unread 02-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #14
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

My "automatic" charger has done the same thing, fortunately it's got a manual switch so you can force it to charge no matter what.

Another family member has one of those fully automatic chargers with no over-ride and it's a PITA with a completely dead battery. It charges for 20 seconds then cuts off and only cycles 3 or 4 times before quitting completely. So you gotta sit with the POS and manually restart a few times til the battery shows a couple volts and your arse is completely frozen off.

Technology is often more trouble than it's worth

Glad you're on the road again
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.