full time four tire question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > full time four tire question

Black Rhino Off Road Wheels + Free ShippingThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
jackedzj
1994 ZJ 

full time four tire question

so i know with the full time four zjs you cant have two types of tires it will blow the vc but i measured today from normal wear my tires differ by a 1/8 of an inch i just bought 4 bfg ats 33 two a brand new 1/2 in tread two are 1/4 how bad would that end and if i drop the front drive shaft will it cause any damage over time

~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
jackedzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

If you had a 96-98, I'd say pull the front shaft. Since you have a 94, I'd highly recommend not doing that. 93-95 249s don't do well with the front shaft removed (rolls in park).

There's a good chance that having 1/4" difference between front and rear will heat up your viscous coupler, but some have had good luck.

Food for thought.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

1/4" tread vs 1/2" tread is a half in diameter difference. it'll eat the vc quickly. max difference is 3/8" diameter and even then it won't be happy about it.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
iGotTheRunz
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
If you had a 96-98, I'd say pull the front shaft. Since you have a 94, I'd highly recommend not doing that. 93-95 249s don't do well with the front shaft removed (rolls in park).

There's a good chance that having 1/4" difference between front and rear will heat up your viscous coupler, but some have had good luck.

Food for thought.
You can pull the shaft without safety issues on a 1998? Could a shaft be the cause of some humming noise during acceleration?
iGotTheRunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

A little off topic there

Yes, a 96-98 NP249 can run without a front driveshaft with minimal wear.

The front driveshaft generally has 3 u-joints or 2 u-joints and a CV joint. Either combo can cause a hum, clank, etc when they get worn.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
rlcii77
1998 ZJ 

I've had my front shaft in & out & it'll be going back in in a couple weeks without incident, except, rolling on unlevel ground. I carry a chock block with me now.
rlcii77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
sandman
1993 ZJ 

just swap out the TC for a 231, thats cheaper than new tires.
Unread 07-28-2011, 11:55 PM   #8
jackedzj
1994 ZJ 

Must agree with sandman that's my plan in the near future but the tires I bought brand new that are on the jeep it turns out that the super small difference is cause my phantom highway heat and pissing off the vc bad so I'm going to just find two more new bfg ats and stick with that route I do deliverys a lot and rolling isn't a good thing so the driveshaft drop is a no
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
jackedzj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.