Fuel Pump - Removal from inside vehicle ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fuel Pump - Removal from inside vehicle ?

LJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off RoadEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 02-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
Jon951

Fuel Pump - Removal from inside vehicle ?

Understood: Metal cutting required

Here is the scenario and question...Fuel Pump bad...

Is it possible to remove the fuel pump assembly from the tank from inside the vehicle after cutting access hole in cargo area floor above the fuel pump?

I have a few sketches of the gas tank area and one thing concerns me. This being the possibility of a structural support member lurking under the sheet metal on the cargo floor in the location of the fuel pump assembly. Is this the case. If so, I imagine cutting this structural member would complicat things a great deal.

I just installed a trailer hitch (pain in the butt), and hear these pumps are notorious for failing. I though pulling the thing from inside the vehicle following sheet metal excavation would be a viable solution, as I could fabricate a simple patch to close the hole following installation of the pump. Theh vehicle is somewhat of a beater anyway, further supporting my approach. I figure if the pump fails again, the access, de-install and re-install of another one wuld be a cinch. Again, I am concerned about any structural steel under the shhet metal which wouldl block the pump assembly from being removed from the top of the tank. Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks Much

Jon951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

It has been done. I believe it's a matter of cutting the hole and fabricating an access panel. If it were me, I would use some seam sealer under the access panel.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

Yes it can be done.... search swampy bypass.

This is unfortunately is a very lazy method. It doesnt take much to drop the tank. In fact you can replace your tank straps while youre at it so this way they dont rust out on you down the road. Leaving you stranded, on the side of the road.

Yard

Edit: the link is in the faqs

http://jeephorizons.com/tech/zj_fuel_pump.html

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 12:22 AM   #4
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

Sparks + gastank = BOOM!
BTW, your electrical wires for the pump are... guess where.
Just drop the tank.
Unread 02-09-2011, 01:42 AM   #5
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

Can be done - I did it myself, without even reading anything on internet, bcos I though nobody would do such a thing. It was on my Wrangler (YJ), and bcos of gas quality here I went through 4 fuel pumps in one year. Dropping the tank on YJ was pain, since it was always full and I had no garage to do it but had to do it outside.
Long story short - there is a saw that is driven by compressed air (air tools I think the call'em). It cuts, but doesn't make sparks since it's not electrical. I made a hole in the metal and then I cut with this saw. Didn't damage no wires bcos wires don't go towards the rear of the Jeep and so I started from there. Then I could bend the cut enough to take a peak inside and see where wires were, as not to cut them (this was after I made the firs of 4 cuts needed to make a sqare hole). So I did it, in like 30 minutes the hole was cut and enlarged enough so that the whole assembly could pass through it. Then I fabbed a cover from a piece of tin I had collecting dust in my back yard, I just cut it 1/2" larger than a hole, a couple of hits with a hammer, and made 4 bolts per side to bolt it all in.
To prevent smell inside, I used that self-adhesive thick tape you use to windproof doors in your house, I've put it around the hole and the bolts were outside of that. Problem solved.
A year after that, I changed another fuel pump on the highway, going to vacation, in about 15 minutes time, on the side of the road, using nothing but a screwdriver & a new fuel pump. That's how easy it was afterwards.
Unread 02-09-2011, 03:48 AM   #6
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post
Long story short - there is a saw that is driven by compressed air (air tools I think the call'em). It cuts, but doesn't make sparks since it's not electrical.
And cutting metal never creates sparks or heat? Sorry, but I had to comment on this.

As for the access; I've seen people do this on allot of vehicles. It's almost always a waste of time. The reason I say this is, by the time you've measured and cut and then cut again because it's just a little off, you could have the tank dropped and put back in.
Pugulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 06:08 AM   #7
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugulis View Post
And cutting metal never creates sparks or heat? Sorry, but I had to comment on this.
I know, but I test-drove it outside Jeep and it was moving way too slow to create any sparks.

Quote:
The reason I say this is, by the time you've measured and cut and then cut again because it's just a little off, you could have the tank dropped and put back in.
I agree. And I don't Because as I said, I went through 4 pumps in a year, and I was SURE it wouldn't stop there. That one time - sure, cutting is more work than dropping the tank. But as I expected it to fail again - as it did - I think it was a wise move.

Another idea: mounting an external fuel pump and adjusting the existing pump assembly is very simple and it guarantees it's the last time you're dropping the tank... Alas, I found out about that way AFTER I've cut my YJ...
Unread 02-09-2011, 06:30 AM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster51 View Post
Sparks + gastank = BOOM!
BTW, your electrical wires for the pump are... guess where.
Just drop the tank.
You need a specific fuel VAPOR density for gasoline to ignite. The liquid actually won't burn until vaporized.

It's not a big deal using a cut off wheel above the tank.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

To be honest though, When the time comes for me to replace the fuel pump, I'll probably drop the tank and then cut an access hole. This way I have plenty of room and no chance of cutting something I wouldn't want cut.
Pugulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #10
JeepOrvis97
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugulis
To be honest though, When the time comes for me to replace the fuel pump, I'll probably drop the tank and then cut an access hole. This way I have plenty of room and no chance of cutting something I wouldn't want cut.
That's probably a good idea but it only took me about 2 hours to drop my gas tank and I have a hitch and skid plate. Plus 2 of my hitch bolts broke their spot welds so I need to take my rear bumper off too while doing the repair. Basically my vote is to just do it the right way the first time.
JeepOrvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #11
crosschecker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I like the idea of cutting the access panel, it seems like it would make things just a little bit easier. I had to cut the floor in my XJ to access the rear shocks, what's another hole?
'96 ZJ 5.2 Limited
crosschecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #12
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
This seems like the best idea.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.