Fuel Pump R&R - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fuel Pump R&R

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #31
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14dude View Post
well on the 97 zj with a 4.0 there are 2 bolts holding the straps that hold the tank. 2 nuts hold the clamps on the filler neck. 2 hoses on the fuel pump module attached by push clips (use a flat head screw driver) to release them. use a air hose with a trigger attachment to blow any and all dirt from around the screw on top and use a block of wood and a hammer to smack the cap off. Then take module out and put new one in and reinstall. DO NOT forget that the fuel filter on 97 zj and up fuel filter is in the tank. Get the new "sock" when you get the pump some stores dont sell it with but as an accessory.

If you replace a pump and it goes bad and the company finds out you did not replace the sock it will void the warranty. you wouldnt believe how many people would yell at me at advance auto becasue airtex wouldnt replace the pump after they didnt replace the sock and i told everyone this and nobody believed me. i would say roughly 50 people who brought the pump back after it went bad after a week or two it was because they sucked everything through the dirty sock..... the new pump has a stronger pull then the old worn out one so it sucks all the dirt and crap from the dirty sock and dirt in the tank and pre maturaly wears out the pump and it goes bad, that is why they void the warranty if you dont replace it (that is what i was told from an Airtex rep)

1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 10:14 PM   #32
14dude
1993 ZJ 

well some autopart stores give you the option on buying the sock. They will not tell you about the warranty, and for the fact about Airtex fuel pumps if you run them on 1/4 tank or less to many times they will go bad! Unlike Mopar or Ac Delco parts. Now from personal knowledge on doing fuel pumps NO matter how much fuel is in the tank drain it all out and clean the tank PERIOD and get 5 gallons of new gas and put it in the tank and then let the customer goto the gas station!
14dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 10:14 PM   #33
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Airtex must love trouble , if they were not such a cheap company , they would include a new sock on every pump . Bosch did
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #34
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

hhahaha im not an airtex rep it was the cheapest thing and what do most people do when something breaks.... sir i have this pump for 39.99 with a 1 year limited warranty or this pump for 99.99 with a lifetime warranty....... ahhhh just give me the cheap one.... and i explain they would need the sock... how much is that? 5.99...... i dont need that..... explain the warranty again. o well its your lose im not losing money i can only explain it so much
Unread 01-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #35
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Just the fact that Airtex would use an electrical wire grommet in the top of some of their fuel pump assemblies which is not fuel resistant and can cause a fire is enough for me to want to stay away from their products. While this recall for some Jeeps w/Airtex fuel pumps is 7-8 years old there's still a lot of bad reviews and problems with their current fuel pump products. No thanks.

http://www.recallrecord.com/equipment/airtex/e7122m/

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 04:22 AM   #36
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

X2 on no airtex, I even had a carter go bad. Went OEM after that. Have heard good thing about Bosch though.
Unread 02-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #37
snappyjoe
1998 ZJ 

hello all. well i replaced the fuel pump on my jeep, and wouldnt u know it, still gas lite on, gauge on empty and the DTE on the overhead counsel at 0. i dont understand it. all signs pointed to the pump. any on what else it could it be?
snappyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #38
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

You replaced the whole assembly right? Check the main connector you had to disconnect to drop the tank. You indexed the float to the same posistion?
Unread 02-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #39
snappyjoe
1998 ZJ 

I replaced the whole unit. And as far as the float goes, as soon as I set it in the tank, it adjusted to the level of the gas.
I read to that to check the fuel pump relay? The article said that this also controls the gauge as well. Is this true?
Unread 02-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #40
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

Is your jeep not running? Sorry im on my phone so its hard to look through the thread
Unread 02-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #41
snappyjoe
1998 ZJ 

No it runs. My gauge is on empty. Fuel lite on. And DTE on overhead counsel is 0. I figured it was the pump, so I replaced it. Still goose eggs.
Unread 02-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #42
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

ooooo gotcha. do you have access to a schematic? im not exactly sure where the fuel pump gets power from or where it goes. if you know for a fact that the pump is a good pump and all then all you can do is start spanning out from the pump and figuring out where the reading goes. i would personally drop the tank and get a multimeter and ensure that the pump is sending a signal out. you have to start somewhere and find the issue thats where i would start. ill look around and pass on any info i can, good luck dude
Unread 02-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #43
snappyjoe
1998 ZJ 

Thanks. I also read somewhere that the fuel pump relay sends out a reading to as well to the gauge too. I hope that works. Prob get a relay switch tomorrow.
Unread 02-04-2013, 04:26 AM   #44
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

fuel-pump.jpg
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #45
snappyjoe
1998 ZJ 

well all, i just wanna say thanks for the help. i found my problem and now the gauge is working and the lite is off. ending up being a wiring issue. i wish i would have looked first since now im out 150 for a new pump. but, i know now that the pump is new. the wiring was was at the grommet underneath the vehicle right before u go into the jeep. one wire was disconnected with the other 3 severed.
so i butt-connected all 4 wires, wrapped them up nicely with electrical tape, and put the loom back over. good to go now!!
thanks once again all!!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.