Fuel pump issues, no power to pump? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fuel pump issues, no power to pump?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 09-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #61
Tully Mars
1994 ZJ 

Hello KoreaZj. The relay pin test procedure you posted above looks like what I need to do. But I have a 94 Grand Cherokee 4x4 with the 5.2 V8. The orientation of the socket pins for my Fuel Pump Relay is different than the above. Do you have this same graphic for my vehicle?
Thanks in advance.

Tully Mars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #62
Yttrium
1997 ZJ 

Well finally pulled the old gal to a place just got a call from the guy he said the ignition system is shut down and he can't do anything about it I guess. So what the hell does that mean? Lol
Yttrium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #63
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

step 1 , swap ASD(auto shut down) relay for the AC relay and check all fuses
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #64
Yttrium
1997 ZJ 

Well it's running I'm happy but after all this time it was the cam sensor, it's just ruining rough now. Cel has code 51 and 42 so asd relay might be goin bad or something n I have lean air/fuel mixture by a abnormally rich correction factor oh and my gas gague says empty -_- but I have gas other than that **** it's running
Unread 09-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #65
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Have you replaced the upstream o2 sensor with an NTK brand sensor?

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #66
Yttrium
1997 ZJ 

No both sensors are about 5 months old and there denso
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #67
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post
Well it's running I'm happy but after all this time it was the cam sensor, it's just ruining rough now. Cel has code 51 and 42 so asd relay might be goin bad or something n I have lean air/fuel mixture by a abnormally rich correction factor oh and my gas gague says empty -_- but I have gas other than that **** it's running
I went back and read all your posts in this thread to review your problem history. I know you finally replaced your crank sensor with a Mopar brand but I'm wondering if you didn't get a bad one? Running rough and wonky gauge readings, especially like your gas gauge reading empty with fuel in the tank, could very well be an indicator it's not working correctly.

As we've already pointed out you need to invest in a multimeter and $15-$25 is a small price to pay compared to pricy parts. A $100 scanner/reader is also one of the best investments I've ever made and can now troubleshoot almost all problems w/o any shop involved.

At least buy a multimeter and use the link in my signature for rechecking the crank sensor and that's a post from earlier in this thread. While fairly technical this video in the below thread posted by Oldfrog is even a better crank sensor test.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1...l#post16192089

Heck, I remember one gal on here who took her meter to the dealer, wouldn't buy a crank sensor until she found one with no resistance between the B&C pins, and went through a half dozen before she found one.

Saw where you replaced the ground strap next to the battery and cleaned your engine grounds. Did you happen to remove the coil bracket and clean off all the oil/rust/corrosion behind it? That's what I finally ended up doing on my 96 4.0, including removing/cleaning both block studs, after my bad PCM ground took out a couple PCM's along with a couple crank sensors.

Also saw where you installed new battery terminals because your battery kept dieing. How old is this battery and wonder if it's gone bad if it was being drained down often?

Since you're in the salt/rust belt it wouldn't be a bad idea to clean the power connection to the PDC from the pos battery terminal along with all the contacts in the PDC itself. Corroded contacts can cause problems where you may think it's the relays like the ADS but it just isn't making good contact.

As far as your lean fuel readings, and then running rich, do you have the infamous cracked manifold/header on your 97 4.0? You should be able to hear the exhaust/header leak on start-up if you do. We discussed this in another thread where cracks where the header tubes connect will pull more air/oxygen in and then the upstream o2 sensor just below it will send this info to the PCM which overcompensates by dumping more fuel in causing a rich running condition.

Just throwing out some ideas to help you solve your problems and good luck!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #68
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post
No both sensors are about 5 months old and there denso
Unplug them and see how it runs.
Jeeps like NTKs. It's worth a try.

Unread 09-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #69
Yttrium
1997 ZJ 

Yeah I'm going to buy one of thos with my next check, no my headers are brand new I've replaced all of that ****. Lol the only thing I'm really worried about is it saying empty but clearly there is gas on there since it's running. I'm not too sure why? Before it ran it would show how much gas I have when it was just sitting. Then once it started it just shut off n went to empty. Everytime i reset the computer n hook it back of the gas gague works for just a sec n goes to about a quarter tank n then drops n says empty. I took out the 02 sensor n cleaned it seemed to fix that problem. Now just one more, I checked all the wires for the sending unit it's all hooked up n fine just no power threw them. I might have to drop the tank I don't know yet. Maybe it just needs a fill to the top for it to kick in or something.
Unread 09-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #70
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Did you get the fuel sending unit recall on your Jeep ? The 97s were recalled.

Unread 09-27-2013, 02:58 AM   #71
Yttrium
1997 ZJ 

No I did not but the whole assembly is brand new.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.