Fuel pump issues, no power to pump? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fuel pump issues, no power to pump?

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 07-26-2013, 05:04 AM   #46
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

It sounds like something is a miss with the security system. Usually will cause a momentary start, then a shut down. The BCM sends a status signal to the PCM and there is no way to fool it. Try locking and unlocking the passenger door with a key.

Sounds like what you are describing at the coil is a loss of the signal from PCM. My advise is to check the crank sensor with a meter.

Does the CEL come on for 3 seconds when the ingnition switch is placed in the ON position?

ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #47
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Agree on checking the crank sensor with a multimeter on the disconnected female connector/plug to the sensor itself. With the meter set to one of the lowest ohm settings, and locking tab on the connector up, make sure you place the black probe on the middle B pin (ground cavity) and red probe on the right C pin (power). The reading should be "open", same as if the probes weren't touching anything, and any resistance at all indicates you have a bad crank sensor.

When completing this test you may also want to move the crank sensor connector from the passenger side to the drivers side to see if the readings change. On one of my bad crank sensors the reading on the passenger side was good but on the driver's side it read bad with resistance. Turned out the wires which make a sharp turn coming out of the crank sensor itself must have been shorted together.

As already mentioned aftermarket crank sensors are a crap-shoot and only go with Mopar sensors. I learned this harsh lesson with 2 new aftermarket crank sensors which drove me nuts since they only cured my stall/no-start problems part of the time. Once I went to a Mopar crank sensor my problems were resolved. Not saying this is your particular problem, since the electronics on these ZJ's are so complicated, but the test is worth a try. Good luck!

Note: test is for 4.0 & V8's.
crankshaft-positon-sensor-test-p.-8d-8-fsm.jpg

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #48
Yttrium
1997 ZJ 

Yeah zeejay I tried that still nothing n yes the cel comes on, before I replaced the pcm is wasn't coming on. Blurb ill try that, I just need to find where I can borrow one. I don't have money to go out n buy one of thos thank you guys alot.
Yttrium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #49
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Those multmeters are a lot less expensive than you may think Tttruim and eventually you're going to need one to troubleshoot electrical issues/problems on your ZJ. Walmart sells some for $12-$15 and I paid $20-$25 for the below GB one at my local hardware. Comes in real handy for testing continuity/AC current around the house in addition to continuity/DC current on my Jeeps.

http://www.tooldex.com/gardner-bende...ers-85813.html

Walmart also sells a set of red/black jumper wires with alligator clips for attaching the probes to connectors/grounds for $3. Would suggest buying a set since they come in real handy in using with a meter.

We can help guide you how to use one and there's plenty of youtube videos out there if you do a search. Good luck.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #50
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

"Walmart also sells a set of red/black jumper wires with alligator clips for attaching the probes to connectors/grounds for $3. Would suggest buying a set since they come in real handy in using with a meter.
"

If you own a ZJ, you WILL use these eventually. Best money I ever spent.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #51
Yttrium
1997 ZJ 

Got a crankshaft sensor from the dealer, replaced it n still no start. had it on the jumper cables because the battery was dead, turnt key over just cranking, no start n then the check engine light came on its putting out code 54 now, so something to do with the cam sensor. -_- n now the vic is saying check battery! one problem after another.......
Unread 08-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #52
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

P0340 No Cam Signal at PCM. No camshaft signal detected during engine
cranking.

Check the connector, charge your battery.
Unread 08-08-2013, 11:05 PM   #53
Yttrium
1997 ZJ 

Okay well I charged my battery n all the code is gone. But still won't start, ****s unreal. I don't know what to do no more.
Unread 08-09-2013, 05:51 AM   #54
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

no spark or no fuel? are the injectors firing?

Remember that you only get power to pump for a few seconds when the key is turned on and when cranking. Same for injectors and coil
Unread 08-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #55
Yttrium
1997 ZJ 

There's no spark, fuel pressure is fine. When I tested the coil there was no power coming out of the coil but there was power coming to it. But the coil is perfect. I don't know I'm thinking towards the bcm now since the alarm doesn't work no more. When it used too.
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #56
Yttrium
1997 ZJ 

I had a friend with a scanner tool come over n plug it in n what not was just telling me the **** I already know, n I was just thinking to myself well duh moron every time you get done messing around you unhook the battery so nothing is never gonna pop up, so just now I threw it on the jumper cables n sat there for about 20 mins with the key on the on position n I start getting more cel code. So there's some idk descent news I guess hahaha it's telling me on the dash 12, 42, 22, 24, 23, 55. I've always just getting 12, 55 I know thos are the okay ones lol
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #57
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Engine coolant temperature sensor above or below acceptable voltage.
Intake air temperature sensor input above or below acceptable voltage.
Throttle position sensor input above or below acceptable voltage. TPS signal does not correlate to MAP sensor.

An open or shorted condition detected in the auto shutdown relay circuit. An open condition detected in the ASD relay output circuit. An open or shorted condition detected in the fuel pump relay control circuit. An open circuit between PCM and fuel gauge sending unit. Circuit shorted to voltage between PCM and fuel gauge sending unit. No movement of fuel level sender detected.
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #58
Yttrium
1997 ZJ 

Thank you new what could cause all this mayhem? This is very annoying. Lol
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #59
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Ive recently found a problem on mine in the TPS-IAC wiring harness. If I havent already mentioned it on this thread, inspect the harness in that general area, move it around and then try to start it.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #60
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post
Thank you new what could cause all this mayhem? This is very annoying. Lol
not much to do unless you have a meter. all of those codes are associated with common wiring. best i can suggest is to go over all the wiring harnesses with a bright light and look for damage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.