JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Fuel pump issues, no power to pump? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/fuel-pump-issues-no-power-pump-1527825/)

Yttrium 05-24-2013 02:56 PM

Fuel pump issues, no power to pump?

Sorry I'm not searching around for this problem, I'm on my cell phone on the middle of no where with no Internet so this is my only way takes forever to load pages, anyway about a month of go my fuel pump went out I guess, my car wouldn't start no more said I was on empty with a full tank of gas, well I went out n bought all new hoses tanks straps fuel pump, everything. I finally get everything together n I go to start it n it says its empty on e not starting n I put 3 gallons in it. I checked all my fuses, connections everything is fine. I literally have no clue what could be the problem, I really need some help. My jeep is a 97 jeep grand cheroke 4.0 I6 thank you.

Afdude88 05-24-2013 03:04 PM

Check the fuel pump relay and the asd relay. Switch em with the ac relay to test. Considering how your gauge aint working i would look at the connector at the pump. Look for recessed pins on both ends. I had the latter issue once....pita

1993 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L AW-4

Yttrium 05-24-2013 04:31 PM

Well i tired all that, still nothing thank you man for your time. Just wish I knew what exactly what is wrong.

chetzar 05-24-2013 04:54 PM

I recently went through this ordeal with my dads Dodge Ram, it turned out to be a bad ground cable, you could try jumping the fuel pump with a battery to see if it kicks on.

Yttrium 05-25-2013 11:43 AM

Alright thanks bud, like the ground cables that are off the battery grounded everywhere under the hood? How would I jump the fuel pump with a battery?

eagsc7 05-25-2013 02:59 PM

Have you tried beating the fuel tank? Also, when you drop the tank to replace the pump, It may not even be the pump... It could be a rodent chewed wire. I've had this happen with 2 jeeps, and even a friends van. Some rodents REALLY like the taste of whatever the factory uses to seal and protect some connections.

ZJNewbi3 05-25-2013 03:18 PM

I second re-checking the connector and jumping the pump. I replaced my fuel pump myself to fix a no-start problem and it wasn't even bad :brickwall check for voltage at the pump connector too. (use a multimeter across the connector on the JEEP END) if no voltage it probably isnt the pump!

Yttrium 05-28-2013 12:23 PM

Well alright, I'll try to do what I can. Thank you for the info on it all, most likely it's the wire idk how I'm gonna replace that or anything. Don't really have money to spend on mechanic, so ill post on here in a few days n see how far I get. Thank you everyone.

eagsc7 05-28-2013 05:12 PM

Maybe try and just run a set of new wires to get it running. From the Junction box fuse 12(10a), run the wire to corospond with the Orange/Dark Blue wire to the fuel pump. If you have a LONG continuity tester, you can check the wire itself to see if the wire has gone bad. If it's good, then Check the connections(Should be 3) between the Junction Box and Fuel Pump. I'm looking at page 12-43 in the Haynes Repair Manual (50025).

Oldfrog 05-29-2013 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yttrium (Post 15476607)
Sorry I'm not searching around for this problem, I'm on my cell phone on the middle of no where with no Internet so this is my only way takes forever to load pages, anyway about a month of go my fuel pump went out I guess, my car wouldn't start no more said I was on empty with a full tank of gas, well I went out n bought all new hoses tanks straps fuel pump, everything. I finally get everything together n I go to start it n it says its empty on e not starting n I put 3 gallons in it. I checked all my fuses, connections everything is fine. I literally have no clue what could be the problem, I really need some help. My jeep is a 97 jeep grand cheroke 4.0 I6 thank you.

So you pulled the tank and installed a new pump inside it recently? Is there a possibility that something in the
tank or the connector outside the tank came loose?

As for the gauge, I know there was a recall on the fuel gauge sending units on the 97 model. ( which is the year I own, too) Did you have the dealership replace it?

How about an alarm system? Do you have one?

AaronButler 05-29-2013 05:51 PM

amongst trying the aforementioned ideas, check your fuel filter. Although I dont think it would be clogged that bad to where it wouldnt start, its worth a shot. They are pretty inexpensive, and if you dont remember when the last time it was changed.. its probably a good idea to do it now :)

KoreaZJ 05-29-2013 08:35 PM

See diagram below...
  1. Remove Fuel Pump Relay
  2. Test relay socket Pin#16, should have +12v always. If no voltage, check PDC Fuse#16 (20amp)
  3. Test relay socket Pin#18, should have +12v with Key ON. If no voltage, check PDC Fuse#18 (15amp)
If above tests are good, briefly short relay socket Pin#16 to Pin#17... fuel pump should run. (even with Key OFF)
If not, perhaps bad pump, wiring, or connections.

http://i43.tinypic.com/14y81t.png

Fuel gauge level sensor is a variable resistor. PCM supplies both PWR/GND.

Yttrium 05-30-2013 11:39 AM

Yes I install the pump a few weeks ago, I've check the volts n everything, for the relay fuse box, there's power but somewhere past it the wires are shot. I checked the plug by the fuel pump the female one n there's not even power coming from there, or the wires behind it. So somewhere, the wires have gone bad I guess, I'm about fed up with it. Today I almost to a sledge hammer to the jeep. I even hooked a wire up to the relay n ran it to the new pump n still no power. I'm about to take it to a shop because I'm completely lost with everything. Thnk you everyone for your help I wish this was something easy.

ZJNewbi3 05-30-2013 09:00 PM

Make sure you check all grounds and look by exhaust components for melted wires and check the whole engine bay for any damaged wires! I was in the same spot you were a few months ago just be patient!

Yttrium 05-30-2013 09:41 PM

I know I'm trying to be, just so stressful. I ended up kicking my door forward n bending it because I was so angry earlier haha :( anyway what was your problem zjnewbie?

The time now is 10:22 PM.