Fuel pump? Injectors? 4.0 ZJ running poorly, misfires, hesitates - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fuel pump? Injectors? 4.0 ZJ running poorly, misfires, hesitates

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #16
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post

moparcranksensorophobia claims another victim. the man has put two crank sensors in the vehicle with no joy. there are aftermarket crank sensors that work as well or the same as a Mopar. After all, SOMEONE has to make those things, Chrysler sure doesnt.

taping a fuel pressure gauge to the windshield is a great idea.
Ahhh... well the post before yours talked mainly about fuel issues/pumps and did mention testing before throwing parts at it. Wonder who taught me that??

Have to admit I do have LNOCND (late night obsessive-compulsive negative disorder) when I dwell on the 4-5 crank sensors I've replaced. Agree, SOMEBODY, not every large-scale autoparts manufacture, has to be making those aftermarket crank sensors. But many of them have a broken/non-halo effect so the puzzle is who makes/creates the good crank sensors with the halo-effect for Chrysler which works like an angel??

Did you get all that duct-tape adhesive off your windshield yet?

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #17
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeZedJ View Post
Uniblurb, after I dot done posting my reply yesterday I spent some more time cruising the forums and I came upon that exact thread. Thanks for sending it my way! I was actually getting ready to PM you. I also checked the eBay module for 90$ WTF! I almost thought too good to be true until the forums said the seller had a good rep. NAPA wants $325 for the same dang thing.

Gonna head out this morning before football consumes my afternoon and test the fuel pressure...

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. I'll post up a video of my pressure readings and such for review. I might just pull the trigger and buy the pump now.

Joe
No problem Joe and let us know how the fuel pressure test turns out. If it turns out to be a bad fuel pump module/assembly that's a good'un!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #18
JoeZedJ
1996 ZJ 

Test 1

Ok guys here is a video I just shot of a fuel pressure test. I wasn't able to replicate the misfire in this video. One item to note is that the needle is bouncing all over a low RPM, I would say between idle and 1500 RPM it dances like crazy. Hard to tell if its in the +/- 2 PSI range of 49 PSI. When I peg the throttle to 2000RPM it holds tight right in spec. I am a tad baffled. My next test is to leave the gauge up in the glass and see if I can catch it kick out.

Thoughts?

'96 ZJ 4.0 Laredo
JoeZedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #19
JoeZedJ
1996 ZJ 

eh not sure if the link worked right...

'96 ZJ 4.0 Laredo
Unread 11-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #20
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
O My next test is to leave the gauge up in the glass and see if I can catch it kick out.Thoughts?
that will tell the tale. Get it under load and see what it does. the one sharp dip i saw could be a problem. the gauge should remain steady. i wouldnt condemn the pump based on this though because the gauge itself could be suspect. sometimes the movement wont take a shock.

Uni, you have a way with words. I dont! LOL
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #21
JoeZedJ
1996 ZJ 

Ok, so I just took it for a drive. I got it to misfire as soon as I put it in drive, after backing out of my driveway. One thing I can say for sure now, it only misses until I let off the gas pedal. Once I give it juice again it drives fine. The fuel pressure stayed pegged the whole time. I am not too sure how accurate the ORielly's loaner is, but I'll have to say its not looking like my fuel pressure is the issue.

My next thought is to double check the Ohm-age on my injectors (14.5 ohms @ 68F per the FSM), and also screw around with the dang PCM. Anything else gentlemen?

Its almost kickoff...

'96 ZJ 4.0 Laredo
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #22
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

moparcranksensormoparcranksensormoparcranksensormo parmoparcranksensormoparcranksenormoparcranksensor moparcranksensormoparcranksensormoparcranksensormo par cranksensormoparcranksensormoparcranksensormoparcr anksensormoparcranksensormoparcranksensormoparcran ksensormoparcranksensormoparcranksensormoparcranks ensormoparcranksensormoparcranksensormoparcranksen sormoparcranksensormoparcranksensormoparcranksenso rmoparcranksensormoparcranksensormoparcranksensorm oparcrank
sensormoparcranksensormoparcranksensormoparcrankse nsormoparcranksensormoparcranksensormoparcranksens ormoparcranksensormoparcranksensormoparcranksensor moparcranksensormoparcranksensormoparcranksensormo parcranksensormoparcranksensormoparcranksensormopa rcranksensormoparcranksensormoparcranksensormoparc ranksensor
Hey,which brand sensor should I use?

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #23
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Sticking injector maybe?

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #24
JoeZedJ
1996 ZJ 

Seafoam?

'96 ZJ 4.0 Laredo
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #25
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post

moparcranksensorophobia claims another victim. the man has put two crank sensors in the vehicle with no joy. there are aftermarket crank sensors that work as well or the same as a Mopar. After all, SOMEONE has to make those things, Chrysler sure doesnt.

taping a fuel pressure gauge to the windshield is a great idea.
I stole the idea from another thread about a similar problem lol
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #26
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Seafoam?
I'd never use that on mine 223k miles of grim is holding this american masterpiece together
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #27
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
hey,which brand sensor should i use?
lmao
Unread 11-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #28
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

i should have said moparcranksensormania
Unread 11-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #29
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
Agree, SOMEBODY, not every large-scale autoparts manufacture, has to be making those aftermarket crank sensors.
lol @ subliminal message
Unread 11-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #30
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Lmao

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.