Fuel pump bad?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fuel pump bad??

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
placoo12
1998 ZJ 

Fuel pump bad??

I have a 4.0 98 GC limited. It dies as soon as it fires up. I can hear the fuel pump turning on when key is switched to the "on" position! I have yet to put a gauge on the fuel rail to check the exact numbers but I used a flat head screw drive to push open that valve and fuel only dribbled out!

The GC has been giving me problems for months now. Crank sensor has been replaced at least once a year, my cousin just bought a computer for it. A few years ago the GC had an Airtex fuel pump put in that never seemed to keep the pressure at adequate numbers. I've always had to prime the Jeep before starting, the on, off, on, off, start trick. Is it safe to assume that I just need to buy an OEM fuel pump?

Thank you for any advise!

ZJ LOVE
placoo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
Scrubberguy
1997 ZJ 

when the fuel pump was changed did they replace the "filter"/ pressure regulator that mounts on top of the pump?

If you can hear the pump working but no fuel I would start there.
Scrubberguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2014, 07:30 AM   #3
placoo12
1998 ZJ 

Ya the filter is located on top of the whole fuel pump assembly which was replaced.

ZJ LOVE
Unread 07-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #4
Scrubberguy
1997 ZJ 

Do you have a secruity system on the GC? This maybe malfunctioning and not allowing the fuel to pump.

I need to check the manual and see if you can bypass the pump as a test only function for flow and pressure once that is a pass or fail you can look elsewhere for the no go reason.
Scrubberguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Hopefully when you installed a new crank sensor you went with Mopar since many aftermarket brands are known to cause problems. You may want to make sure your horn works then switch the horn relay with the fuel pump relay in the PDC which is the black fuse/relay box in your engine compartment.

But the fact you've always had to prime the pump by turning it on-off-on-off may indicate a bad pump and Airtex sure doesn't have a very good reputation. Most on here consider them junk.

Here's a brand new Bosch 67649 fuel pump module for your 98 on ebay where the bid is up to $85 and the bidding closes Sat night. If you don't have an ebay account they're easy to open along with a paypal account at the same time. Believe I'd throw a bid at it for about $95 and with $16 shipping total cost would be $111.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-BO...1f1182&vxp=mtr

Bosch is OE and if you bought a Mopar one at the dealer it would be the exact same thing repackaged for about 3X the cost. They run cool and quiet while coming with the top filter and a tank seal if still in the box.

Normally I can find the new Bosch 67649 module on ebay for about $120 w/free shipping but I'm not finding it through the reputable vendors like eherko or alansdeals. Believe I'd try the bid one and good luck!

PS. Next lowest price for the 67649 is Amazon but it's $170 so I'd try the ebay unit.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
placoo12
1998 ZJ 

Scrubberguy, I made sure that the security light wasn't flashing while trying to start the jeep and the dribbling fuel pressure out of the Schroeder valve is a good indication the me that either the fuel pump or bad injectors? As far as the injectors I'm really doubting that those are the cause because wouldn't multiple of them have to be leaking to cause such low fuel pressure.

Uniblurb, I've read you're posts before and took yours and everyone's else advise and just ordered a Bosch pump on eBay for 90. Plus 15 shipping. Not too bad! I don't think the crank sensor was replaced with a mopar, I also didn't check if the horn relay actually worked, I will do that though! Thank you!

ZJ LOVE
Unread 07-18-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

YW placoo12, and did that $90 bid/order go through or can somebody else place a higher bid before the Sat. night deadline?

I've heard of some aftermarket brand crank sensors working but the 2 brand new ones I bought from Advance acted just a finicky as the bad Mopar one I was replacing which drove me nuts! In the future go only with Mopar sensors unless it's the o2 sensors than use NTK which are OE.

Unread 07-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #8
placoo12
1998 ZJ 

The bid just went through at a total of $100.95. I was surprised that it went through at such a great price! I also ordered some 703 injectors to freshen up the rest of the fuel delivery system.

I'm sure i'll be replacing the O2 sensors soon to just for routine maintenance. I'm done buying replacement parts from local parts stores!

ZJ LOVE
Unread 07-19-2014, 10:08 PM   #9
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Good deal and glad your bid went through!

Anymore I buy most of my parts online too. But I'll also use the below Advance discount codes if I can get $40 off $100 or $50 off of $125 while picking the parts up at the local store.

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/adva....com?c=4582125

Tip, only go with Mopar sensors if you replace any except o2 sensors then go with NTK which is OE.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.