Fuel pressure test port sprays air - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fuel pressure test port sprays air

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
misterdude89
1997 ZJ 

Fuel pressure test port sprays air

97 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4.0L. I have been having problems with intermittent sputtering and stalling under load. To check for fuel pressure I pressed in the shrader(test port on fuel rail) valve and noticed a spray of fuel and air rather than a solid stream of fuel. Is this common? Also, no codes have occured which is odd and makes diagnosing the problem VERY difficult.

misterdude89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
classicmetalman

Did you check the pressure with a gauge? There will be a quick shot of fuel if you just press the valve, but not a constant flow. As far as the air, not sure. Don't remember if your '97 has an inline filter or not, but if it does, when was the last time you changed it? Post up your pressure readings. BTW, leave the gauge hooked up and shut down the Jeep. Wait a while and make note of pressure drop, shouldn't be significant.
HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydajeep View Post
I say you should still hit something just to let it know you mean business, or shake a hammer at it in a menacing fashion
classicmetalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 11:54 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

97 doesn't have an inline filter.
you need a gauge, just hitting the valve core doesn't tell you much other than there is gas there.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
misterdude89
1997 ZJ 

I have measured with a gauge and read 45psi with engine running. Fuel filter is part of the fuel tank module and was changed with fuel pump. And pressure is maintaned for awhile after shutting off engine.
misterdude89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
TheHalfWit
1995 ZJ 

What brand of fuel pump was used as the replacement? Personally I doubt that its the fuel filter, I recently discovered that my fuel filter was likely more then 10 years old after I ended up cutting it out of the bracket and the only symptoms I had was that I had to shove the pedal harder to accelerate, and mileage sucked. 45 Psi sounds a bit high though, but they might have changed the specs between the 4.0 and the 5.2, or 93-95 and 96-98.

If a week goes by without needing to replace something, pinch me because I must be dreaming.
TheHalfWit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4.0l , fuel , pressure test , stalling

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.