Fuel Pressure Test: between the rails? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fuel Pressure Test: between the rails?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 08-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #1
DeanLM90
1997 ZJ 

Fuel Pressure Test: between the rails?

I don't have the test port on my 5.2 liter's driver side rail and don't want to buy the fuel line disconnect tool AND the additional line attachment with the valve built in. Can I simply cut the line between driver side and passenger side in half and insert the t shaped valve that came with my pressure testing kit?

Will testing it this way somehow disrupt the functionality of the fuel delivery system?

What happens to the air that inevitably gets trapped in the fuel lines/rails? Will it all get pushed through the injectors somehow? Air in the lines would affect the peak pressure values would they not?

DeanLM90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
mrgimble
1997 ZJ 

I would not cut that line from rail to rail. It is quite hard and curved and you probably would never get it sealed right. Best to do it the right way.
Unread 08-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Not to mention the metal shavings.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 08:47 PM   #4
DeanLM90
1997 ZJ 

Thanks guys you prevented a mistake I did not want to make! Hopefully I can find a rail with the test port built in at the yard. Otherwise I have to track down the "kit" to attach the test line between the rail and the main line. If I could find the right fittings somewhere I could probably make one way cheaper and quicker. Not sure where I'd find those though. Looks like I'll be making some phone calls tonight.

Still curious how air works it's way out of the system (if at all)
DeanLM90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 08:57 PM   #5
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Air in the rail just blows out the injectors. Especially since Jeep puts the regulator right next to the inlet so the air can't purge out the regulator. When the engine is running and the injectors are firing the fuel in the rails is pretty turbulent so the air gets out alright. On my 4.0 it takes a while to purge out but the test port is on top so I just give it a few taps to hurry the air out. I bought a junkyard rail a while back so I could move the regulator to the other side of the rail which would also keep the rail cooler but it's pretty low on my list of things to do.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 11:38 PM   #6
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Isn't the fuel pressure regulator built right into the fuel pump module/assembly on both the 4.0/V8's from late 95 thru 98? Understand it's a separate part/device in the engine compartment on 93 thru early 95. Would agree the air's going to blow out through the injectors and even better if the regulator is clear back in the tank.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2014, 09:36 AM   #7
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

You're right, the regulator is in the tank on the later models but from what I've seen the bypass is in the tank so just one line runs up to the rails. No way for air to get to the regulator on those.

Last edited by zjosh93; 08-20-2014 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: grammar
Unread 08-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #8
sebian
1995 ZJ 

That file line between the rails is a "non-servicable" part, meaning that it is not supposed to come apart from the rail.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 09:18 PM   #9
Scooteriggy
1993 ZJ 

What would be the issue with replacing the cross over line between rails with fuel line? or does it need to be that solid line insert?
Scooteriggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 12:51 PM   #10
sebian
1995 ZJ 

The nipples on the rail connecting the line are hard plastic from what I remember, and it is not recommended to use those to clamp fuel line to. Having said that, when I did my plenum swap, I cracked the brittle fuel line, resulting in a fuel leak. I replaced it with fuel line, lightly clamped on with hose clamps...2 years ago and no probs so far. I didn't feel like spending the nearly $400 for a new fuel rail assembly, when $5 at the auto store fixed it.

Unread 08-25-2014, 02:13 PM   #11
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Are the nipples plastic? I have the 4.0 but I was looking at pictures of the v8 rails earlier. It looked to me like the crossover was hard nylon line pressed onto steel nipples on the rails. If that is the case you can easily remove the nylon by warming it up and replace it with fuel injection hose and hose clamps. I have done this with some of the lines on my ZJ: high pressure hose and double clamps.
Unread 08-25-2014, 02:32 PM   #12
sebian
1995 ZJ 

The nipples are plastic, which makes it sucky to work with, and they are ribbed to grab the fuel line, which makes getting off a pita. I had to very delicately cut the line that was left on there.

Unread 08-25-2014, 03:51 PM   #13
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Where are you seeing $400 fuel rail assemblies? Billet rails with allocations for full return plumbing are half that. DIY fuel rail stock is even cheaper.
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.