Fuel pressure and pump - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fuel pressure and pump

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-16-2006, 04:54 PM   #1
rkreger2

Fuel pressure and pump

I had a small slow start problem a week ago. I since changed the fuel filter and now I have a MAJOR slow/no start problem. With a gage I can not get pressure over 12psi when cranking. If I bleed a bit of fuel from the pressure port I can get it to start after a lot of cranking and bleeding. Once it is running I get about 20psi of pressure. This seems really low!! It drive OK, but seems pretty sluggish. Once I turn it off the pressure just falls off immediately.

It seems like a priming issue but while running I only have the 20psi which seems low. Is this the check valve going out in the pump? I am wondering since I changed filters if I didn't just kill it somehow. What do you guys think?? I don't want to pull the tank if I am chancing the wrong thing.

rkreger2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2006, 04:59 PM   #2
rkreger2

I forgot to mention it is a 2001 GC 4.0L with 107K on the dial. I just had to change the water pump and did the fuel filter at the same time .
Unread 08-16-2006, 06:53 PM   #3
Test
2007 WK 

Sounds like a bad fuel regulator and/or pump.
Test is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2006, 07:24 PM   #4
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I would change the filter again since it was better with the old one. Maybe the new has something lodged in it. Hint: buy it from a different place just in case that the whole lot of them is funky.

Your pressure should be almost double from what you are getting. If a new filter does not help then a new fuel pump would be next unless something is in the line or the fuel rail is rusted.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2006, 11:33 AM   #5
rkreger2

I think I am going to change the filter one more time. It is much easier than the pump and doesn't cost much just to be sure.

One question though, does the fuel filter on the 01 (remote mounted in axle housing) have a built in reguator inside the filter. It has 3 connections on it. 1 from the pump, one to the engine, and one back to the tank. I'm really questioning this since it got bad right when I changed the filter.
Unread 08-17-2006, 11:36 AM   #6
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Canít help ya. ZJs only have 1 inlet & 1 outlet.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2006, 10:12 PM   #7
Test
2007 WK 

Try this http://www.wjjeeps.com/fuel_filter.htm
Test is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2006, 11:13 PM   #8
ktplotts

Yes, the 01's have the regulator in the fuel filter. My book says that if your pressure doesn't reach normal range, 44.2-54.2 PSI, then check for restrictions, and then replace the pump. If it is higher then specified, then replace the regulator/filter.

I'm having a opposite problem, Its fine while driving, but after sitting, it looses all pressure.
ktplotts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2006, 12:04 AM   #9
Redbob
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktplotts
I'm having a opposite problem, Its fine while driving, but after sitting, it looses all pressure.
I wouldn't be too surprised if that was leaky injectors; do you get just a little smoke on startup, and it briefly runs a little ragged too?
Redbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2006, 12:20 AM   #10
ktplotts

no, not at all. Pretty sure i got it narrowed down to the fuel filter/reguator. I ordered it last week, it just takes a while to get here.
ktplotts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.