Fuel leak - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fuel leak

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 01-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #16
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

I actually don't know i could not get mine done because i think it only relates to factory installed rotors.

xcaliber81 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2013, 12:45 AM   #17
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

I actually don't know they told me it only relates to factory installed rotors so i couldn't get it done.
Unread 01-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #18
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

So I ordered it up today 28.00$ before tax at mopar I'm going with a dodge one assuming the one on there now is factory if its lasted that long 28$ is a small price to pay. So I deffinetly have to drop my tank right there's no access on the floor?
Unread 01-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #19
Okie_Rider
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81
So I ordered it up today 28.00$ before tax at mopar I'm going with a dodge one assuming the one on there now is factory if its lasted that long 28$ is a small price to pay. So I deffinetly have to drop my tank right there's no access on the floor?
Got to drop her. I used a floor jack to lower and raise
Unread 01-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #20
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Tank has to come out , no other way around it IMO unless you wanna hack up the floor . Not too sure you wanna do that with a leak

Get the tank as empty as possible . Makes it easy to work with . I ran mine to below empty , left maybe an inch in the tank .

Start by soaking everything with PB Blaster and depressurizing the system . Remove the gas cap to vent the tank , release the pressure from the fuel rail .

Then let the gas fill and vent hoses go . This can be a little tough , they bond to the filler pretty good . Use a short flat top screwdriver , get your arm way up there and push the screwdriver tip downwards between the hose and filler . Do it it in a few spots , it should wiggle off no problem once the seal has broken .

Now disconnect the plug in , let the fuel supply line go , then the vent line

Not sure if you have the skid , I didn't . It will also have to come off . It's recommended the exhaust heat shield be removed , meh , I didn't but I did see where it would make more room . Hit the 2 bolts with WD-40 just before you take them off (after a presoak) . I hit mine with the impact . If you do this , clamp the upper side of the bolt with vice grips to stop it from rattling about Obviously , you need something to hold the tank up . A floor jack works great . Once the straps are let go , start letting the tank down . The pass. side will drop while the other side is held up wuth the 2 hoses . Start feeding those through the frame as the tank is lowered . I did mine without lifting the jeep up to this point but raising the pass side at this point helped get the tank out the rest of the way . That exhaust heat shield ....may... have helped . By now , the tank is on the floor .

Now your gonna see this , ewww
dsc05949.jpg

To remove this dirt , a small pointed screwdriver and a shop vac work great

Disconnect any remaining lines from the pump and vent . Now the get the lock nut off . I know I didn't have a "special tool" , and it's not coming off by hand at any point of removal . My solution was use a large flat top , but blunt chisel . 2-3 medium taps per tab and work your way around . Don't use the top , use the side of the tabs . It will start to move slowly , then get better . Don't try to turn it all the way off one tab , it will just break .

Pull up on the pump and remove it , note it's position . Remove and simply replace the seal . That's an easy thing to do .
dsc05951.jpg  
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #21
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Wow thanks I am sure that will come in handy.
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #22
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

just wondering why is it important to put the pump back the way it came out?
Unread 01-09-2013, 05:09 AM   #23
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

fuel supply line has to face forwards , but, the filter does spin . the float was 90*of that on the pass side . maybe it would not matter , I like things to go back as the were
Unread 01-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #24
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Also if im dropping my fuel tank should i replace my filter or is it replaceable?
Unread 01-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #25
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

There is a pick up screen on te bottom you could/should replace , it just pushes/pops on . The filter on the top I can't seem to get off , maybe a special tool or technique required . I didn't wanna bust it up .
Unread 01-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #26
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

I asked already and the filter is non replaceable ill have to look into the pickup screen thanks again.
Unread 01-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #27
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

I should have asked this before but how do I release the pressure from the fuel rail? I am going to do this today, never mind I figured it out.
Unread 01-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #28
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

WOW its a good thing i did this my fuel pump was not installed correctly, the really thick seal was only placed on the first ridge so it stuck up 1/4 inch more than it should. No wonder it leaked.

The good news is no more leak. Ill tell you what though it fought me the whole time trying to get that stupid tank. Now that i know how its done next time will be much easier for sure.

Oh ya before It was pointed out to me I guess there is a vent on the fuel rail i think, I just yanked the fuel lines off the rail WOOPS lol.
Unread 02-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #29
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

My fuel mileage seems way better atm I am at an 1/8th less that 3/4 and I have driven about 215ish ins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.