Fuel Gauge/Flickering lights Jeep ZJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Fuel Gauge/Flickering lights Jeep ZJ

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
llarsen024
1998 ZJ 

Fuel Gauge/Flickering lights Jeep ZJ

Hi All,

I am experiencing a couple issues with my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee TSI. The first issue is that the interior lights go dim, and then start flickering... it doesnt happen all of the time, but it has been more frequent recently.

Also, on Sunday i was leaving my sportsman club and realized that my gas gauge was on empty (even though i know i had half a tank left), then about a mile down the road, it went back up to 1/2 tank, then went to a 1/4 tank about another half mile down the road... Then by the time i got home, about another 2 miles, it was on empty again... Although there is no way it was out of gas. So i went to the gas station and filled up completely and it went all the way to full... But the past couple days it has been dropping back down to empty and going back to full randomly. I also noticed that when its on full, the DTE says around 400, but then when it drops down to empty the DTE says 0... so i dont think its only the gauge causing the issue, but im not very good with cars.

Has anyone had this happen to them? If so, do you know what the repair is and an estimated cost?

Thanks
Luke

llarsen024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
94cherry
1994 ZJ 

Uniblurb posted this in my thread about my sending unit.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/f...stion-2569418/
Unread 07-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
RedHotZeeJay
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by llarsen024 View Post
Hi All,

I am experiencing a couple issues with my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee TSI. The first issue is that the interior lights go dim, and then start flickering... it doesnt happen all of the time, but it has been more frequent recently.

Also, on Sunday i was leaving my sportsman club and realized that my gas gauge was on empty (even though i know i had half a tank left), then about a mile down the road, it went back up to 1/2 tank, then went to a 1/4 tank about another half mile down the road... Then by the time i got home, about another 2 miles, it was on empty again... Although there is no way it was out of gas. So i went to the gas station and filled up completely and it went all the way to full... But the past couple days it has been dropping back down to empty and going back to full randomly. I also noticed that when its on full, the DTE says around 400, but then when it drops down to empty the DTE says 0... so i dont think its only the gauge causing the issue, but im not very good with cars.

Has anyone had this happen to them? If so, do you know what the repair is and an estimated cost?

Thanks
Luke
The flickering dash/interior lights is probably being caused by worn out connections in the headlight/dimmer switch. You can replace the switch with a new one, re-solder the broken/worn out contacts in your current switch, or you can do what I do and give it a good whack when it starts acting up.

The incorrect fuel gauge reading is your fuel level sending unit. My ZJ had the same issue when I first bought it. Its a pretty common issue, and is harmless as long as you know how to reset your trip mileage when you fill up. I drove my ZJ with a lying fuel gauge for right around 3 years without accidentally running out of gas, so you should be just fine!

With that being said, I replaced my fuel pump module (pump, pressure regulator, fuel level sender) right around this time last year, and it IS nice to have a fuel gauge that I can trust now. If you end up deciding to replace the fuel pump module, go with a Bosch pump. They run cool, quiet, and I believe they're the OE supplier for these ZJ's.

Good luck!
RedHotZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
llarsen024
1998 ZJ 

Thank you! I wouldnt have thought about the headlight switch, i will def check that out.
lol i have actually been just resetting the trip odometer as well, so far i havent run out of gas. but i will look into the new fuel pump module when i have the funds.

Thanks again,
Luke
llarsen024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.