fuel gage problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > fuel gage problem

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

fuel gage problem

I just picked up a 97 GC with 187K miles.

It has one problem that I see (it stands out because the vehicle is rather pristine: very little wear on seats and rugs, all service seems to have been done professionally, all the accessories and features seem to work--no hacked looking fixes). The gas gage flicks back and forth between zero and correct. It's an instant shift, it could be at zero and a second later it could be reading fine.

I'm guessing it's a connection issue; the connector outside the tank seems ok. Are there other places prone to failure?

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

My bet, if the connections are good, is that the sending unit is bad....It works on resistance, and could have a bad spot in it, or a broken wire in the harness....Does the problem change when you fill the tank up compared to when its empty?
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
nekolin
1995 ZJ 

this may sound stupid but i had the same problem. get under your gas tank and give it a good kick. thats how i fixed mine
nekolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba974 View Post
My bet, if the connections are good, is that the sending unit is bad....It works on resistance, and could have a bad spot in it, or a broken wire in the harness....Does the problem change when you fill the tank up compared to when its empty?
Doesn't seem to. When it is working it's right on. When it stops, it just goes to full empty. That's why I thought it is a connection (I think a sticking float or dead spot on the sender would behave somewhat differently)

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.