Front Wheels not centered - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front Wheels not centered

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 01-09-2016, 09:45 AM   #1
phaeton16
Drive It like U Stole It

1997 ZJ 

Front Wheels not centered

After installing adjustable IRO upper and lower arms and IRO 3.5 lift my front wheels are 1 to 1 1/2 inches to far to passenger side how do I correct this I'm waiting for my IRO OTK steering to take into shop next week for alignment but is there any way to fix this problem now.

phaeton16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #2
GOLDWING
1998 ZJ 

Did you do something with the track bar? If it is still the stock unit I would think that the axle would move toward the drivers side with 3.5" lift.

Goldwing
Unread 01-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #3
phaeton16
Drive It like U Stole It

1997 ZJ 

no I added the track bar that came with the lift its adjustable do I need to disconnect track bar roll jeep back and fourth till its centered then reattach track bar or is that just wishful thinking
phaeton16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2016, 11:07 AM   #4
kachink
1998 ZJ 

If the axle is too far to the passenger side then you need to adjust the track bar length (shorter) to center the axle.
kachink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2016, 11:10 AM   #5
ravenworks
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Disconnect the TB, jump up and down on the front.
It will center itself,adjust and install TB.
Unread 01-09-2016, 12:40 PM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenworks View Post
Or you can just turn the steering wheel with the TB disconnected. Or both.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2016, 12:45 PM   #7
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenworks View Post
I may attempt what you stated here. So, which end of the track-bar is the best to disconnect, as far as reassembly? Does it make a difference? I ask because my axle is off to the side a bit on my '98. I've never had the track-bar off, and it is stock. I have, however, added UC springs to front and rear, and replaced front LCA's. All other CA are original. Thanks.

Sorry about the minor hijacking, but I figured the OP might find the answer useful as well. I didn't think it was worth a separate thread started. Cheers.
MrRoundel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2016, 12:53 PM   #8
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoundel View Post
I may attempt what you stated here. So, which end of the track-bar is the best to disconnect, as far as reassembly? Does it make a difference? I ask because my axle is off to the side a bit on my '98. I've never had the track-bar off, and it is stock. I have, however, added UC springs to front and rear, and replaced front LCA's. All other CA are original. Thanks.

Sorry about the minor hijacking, but I figured the OP might find the answer useful as well. I didn't think it was worth a separate thread started. Cheers.
Unbolt the side with the adjustable end, should be the frame side if it's installed correct. Unless you want to spin the entire bar around to adjust it.
Unread 01-10-2016, 08:18 AM   #9
BigClay
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have also unbolted the track bar and used a ratchet strap and a tape measure to center the axle, then adjust the track bar from there. I have been off half an inch or so and thought that was close enough in my book.
Unread 01-10-2016, 02:37 PM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigClay View Post
I have also unbolted the track bar and used a ratchet strap and a tape measure to center the axle, then adjust the track bar from there. I have been off half an inch or so and thought that was close enough in my book.
Why in the world would you ever have to use a ratchet strap in the front? You can even do it with the steering wheel if you are alone.
Unread 01-12-2016, 11:51 AM   #11
BigClay
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Why in the world would you ever have to use a ratchet strap in the front? You can even do it with the steering wheel if you are alone.
When a vehicle is in the air, how would the steering help?
Unread 01-12-2016, 12:03 PM   #12
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Unbolt the side with the adjustable end, should be the frame side if it's installed correct. Unless you want to spin the entire bar around to adjust it.
My original track-bar doesn't have an adjustable end that I can see. Maybe I need a track-bar stretcher/shrinker, or stronger psychokinetic energy?
MrRoundel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2016, 12:28 PM   #13
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoundel View Post
My original track-bar doesn't have an adjustable end that I can see. Maybe I need a track-bar stretcher/shrinker, or stronger psychokinetic energy?
Ha, well then I'd do the axle side with that infamous flag nut.
Unread 01-12-2016, 12:30 PM   #14
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigClay View Post
When a vehicle is in the air, how would the steering help?
Why are you adjusting a track bar with the truck in the air? I tighten up and adjust all of my suspension stuff on the ground with the vehicle weight on it.
Unread 01-12-2016, 01:22 PM   #15
tjcustomranger
1993 ZJ 

Quote:

Why are you adjusting a track bar with the truck in the air? I tighten up and adjust all of my suspension stuff on the ground with the vehicle weight on it.
Adjusting anything with the vehicle in the air is like adjusting everything for a 7" lift when you really only have 3" lift. When mine is on the lift both axles shift about 2" of center and the toe in is about 2.5"

You can install the frame side of the track bar in the air but dont both tring to get the axle side on or adjust it while its up there
tjcustomranger is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.