Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Front wheel rubbing rear of wheel wells

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  ZJJoe55 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 94 ZJ and I need some help taking the best course of action. I bought it with about a 2.5 inch lift and it has 33s on it. The pinch weld is already hammered down. From my reading the only ways to stop this rubbing is to either 1. Get smaller tires( isn't going to happen due to budget constraints) 2. Push the front axle forward ( I'm not sure exactly what I would need to do this but looking at the jeep it seems to have room to go an inch or two ) or 3. Lift it a couple more inches ( I would go with a two inch budget boost and some shocks for a 4 to 5 inch lift. But I think I will run into the same issue with rubbing while wheeling) any advice or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks huys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
From my reading the only ways to stop this rubbing is to either 1. Get smaller tires( isn't going to happen due to budget constraints)
Not an option

2. Push the front axle forward ( I'm not sure exactly what I would need to do this but looking at the jeep it seems to have room to go an inch or two )
If you don't already have them, get adjustable LCAs and UCAs, and extend them about 1.25" over the recommended length for your lift height. It will help a ton.

3. Lift it a couple more inches ( I would go with a two inch budget boost and some shocks for a 4 to 5 inch lift. But I think I will run into the same issue with rubbing while wheeling)
Lifting doesn't help one single bit, you're still stuck with the same front axle travel geometry no matter how high or low you are. No matter if you're at 2" lift height or 4" lift height, you will rub at the exact same spots as soon as the suspension compresses enough - unless you add bumstopping (which you should, if you lift your Jeep and run larger-than-stock tires).

I've got 33s on 3" lift height, front axle pushed ~1.5" forward over recommended. I used to run 32s on 1.75" BB with 1" added bumpstopping, front axle pushed 1.5" forward. No issues with the back of the wheelwell.
Getting the WB stretch right is kinda trial-and-error, because you can't push it forward too much for various reasons.

#4 ·
Yeah, I had to beat the snot out of the back of the fender well to get it to clear my 33's.

If I was running wider tires it would rub all over.

#6 ·
Have you adjusted the low control arm adjusting nut? It's the camber nut on the front bolt of the low control arm. Loosen it and turn it so the axle is as far forward as it will go. Both left and right. Your Jeep will then Not drive straight. If it tracks to the left move the right back a bit. And visa versa.

#9 ·
Judging by how far out the tires stick out of the fenders, I'm guessing you've got 15" x 10" wheels with 4" or even less backspacing. 33 x 12.50 tires?
Using 10" wide wheels will give you a lot more headache with 12.50" wide tires on a ZJ compared to using 8" wide wheels.

However, pushing the axle forward about 1.5" (that's about the max.) will help with the rear. Keep in mind though, you will quickly start rubbing under the battery tray/ airbox area when you extend front wheelbase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.