Front wheel bearing/hub replace question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front wheel bearing/hub replace question

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
EBT531
1998 ZJ 

Front wheel bearing/hub replace question

Seems pretty straight forward, but 1 question:

Will any diff lube come out when I remove the old bearing/hub? Or is there an inner seal that will prevent this from happening?

Basically just checking if I should pull the diff lube before the bearing in order to prevent a mess.

Thanks

EBT531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Your good. Pull the bearing/hub. No surprises.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
li'l jeep
Always a Pirate

1997 ZJ 

Yuppers, nothing will come out. Just make sure those hubs are tight!!!! It calls for 170 ft lbs. I would suggest to get no less than 160! I did the old school way of snugging down but I lost more hubs than I care to remember that way. TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT!!!!

Best way is a long bar on the axle nut and have someone hold the hub with a screwdriver on the studs (protected by a lug nut of course). Really crank down because front hubs are expensive and a bad one leads to eraser style tire wear!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!
li'l jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
bigb229
1998 ZJ 

put some outter seals on that axle tube while youre at it....keep the grime out.
bigb229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 10:19 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by li'l jeep View Post
Yuppers, nothing will come out. Just make sure those hubs are tight!!!! It calls for 170 ft lbs. I would suggest to get no less than 160! I did the old school way of snugging down but I lost more hubs than I care to remember that way. TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT!!!!

Best way is a long bar on the axle nut and have someone hold the hub with a screwdriver on the studs (protected by a lug nut of course). Really crank down because front hubs are expensive and a bad one leads to eraser style tire wear!
Get a real torque wrench. You should be using it on your lug nuts and other repair work anyways.
The spec is 175, even 10ftlbs +/- will lead to premature failure.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #6
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

At the dealership I worked at torque wrech = impact gun. Yes this even included head gaskets.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 11:09 PM   #7
EBT531
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
Get a real torque wrench. You should be using it on your lug nuts and other repair work anyways.
The spec is 175, even 10ftlbs +/- will lead to premature failure.
Gotcha covered. I torque everything.

Thanks everyone. I was pretty sure, but didnt want that "oh crap" moment as fluid poured out
EBT531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 06:36 AM   #8
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiCkeDuDe View Post
At the dealership I worked at torque wrech = impact gun. Yes this even included head gaskets.
Please post dealer name so we can avoid them.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.