Front vibration like a bald spot on a tire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front vibration like a bald spot on a tire

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 08-19-2003, 10:23 AM   #1
jeepilot

Front vibration like a bald spot on a tire

I have a 95 JGC with roughly 140,000 miles, and the full time t-case. I've developed a problem with the front end vibrating similar to what would feel like a BIG bald spot on a tire, but it's always there when I'm accelerating or going down the highway at about 65MPH. It is most noticeable when just accelerating and at highway speeds, the vibration is similar to going over little bumbs a few times a second at highway speeds. The bumps get quicker as I go faster so it's speed related. I'm gonna take a guess that it's a driveline/powertrain problem. the bumps seem to lessen or go away when I brake heavily. I'm completely lost as to what this would be and I would appreciate your help as college is starting and it's my daily driver.

blake

NP249--->NV242 swap, Banks Header, Carsound high-fow catalytic converter, Flowmaster Delta40 muffler, Homemade K & N cold air intake, ABS Disconnect switch, Hayden Transmission cooler, Dual whip antennas (Cobra CB and Scanner), OME HD coils, DT3000 shocks, 31" Dunlop Mud Rovers.
[URL=http://members.cardomain.com/jeepilot]Pics[/URL]
Jeeps...Making mechanics out of average guys since 1941.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited by jeepilot; 08-19-2003 at 10:25 AM..
jeepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 01:08 PM   #2
97RedBird
2009 MK Compass 

check your tire to see if the radial belt broke. This will cause your tire to deform and have a buldge in it. Driving on this can cause the buldge to bald and will cause the bad vibrations. In the end it can cause front end alignment issues and seals to wear more quickly. (just mentioning a few things)
97RedBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 04:58 PM   #3
jeepilot

well after driving today and thinking about it, the vibration is more like a rub or I hate to say a grinding feel and it is most felt through the accelerator pedal, very light but enough to make me worry. thanks for the tire info, I'll check that out

blake
NP249--->NV242 swap, Banks Header, Carsound high-fow catalytic converter, Flowmaster Delta40 muffler, Homemade K & N cold air intake, ABS Disconnect switch, Hayden Transmission cooler, Dual whip antennas (Cobra CB and Scanner), OME HD coils, DT3000 shocks, 31" Dunlop Mud Rovers.
Unread 08-20-2003, 07:08 PM   #4
JEEPTECHNICIAN

you could remove your front drive shaft and then drive it to see if the problem is still there. Be careful if you remove the front drive shaft, cause the jeep will roll even in park if it is fuul time 4wd and the drive shaft is out.
JEEPTECHNICIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2003, 05:04 PM   #5
jeepilot

well I checked the tires and they seem to be ok, as they should be with less than 5k on one and 15k on the other. I don't really want to disconnect the front driveshaft, but if I get time I will. the more I think about it and read other problems it makes me wonder if it could be a bearing going out, a U joint or some other axle problem. Also if it's an axle problem, wouldn't the vibration still be there even if the front driveshaft is disconnected? thanks for your time and responces.
blake
Unread 08-21-2003, 05:08 PM   #6
JEEPTECHNICIAN

not if it is the front drive shaft it want. and that you took it out and the vibration goes away. then you know where it is coming from....
JEEPTECHNICIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2003, 02:41 PM   #7
Harald

I am owner of a 1986 JC and a 1996 JGC. I have had same problems with JC. First of all I support the other replies given. As having worked with tires for 10 years, I have come across US brands of tires developing "flat spots". That is hot tires parked on a cool surface shrinks where they touch the surface. One one instance I had heavy vibrations due to sticking brakes (corrosion in cleiper cylinder on one of the front wheels). It typically appeared on 50 mph, getting worse as time progressed. For a start I would advice to have the front wheels balanced and checked for run out. Worn out shock absorbers makes it even worse.

Harald
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2003, 11:23 PM   #8
jeepilot

Stupid Me

I discovered the problem and it was part drivetrain, part tire. Stupid me. About two months ago I redid the brakes on the front and I guess I didn't properly torque the lugs down. Well time and vibration started to unscrew them and the "wobble", or vibration I was feeling was because the tire was vibrating against the lugs. Good thing I caught it before the tire fell off while going down the road, bad thing I was so stupid to not torque the bolts properly. The problem ended up snaping one of the lug studs off. Anyone know how to replace/fix this problem?

FYI. TORQUE THOSE LUGS DOWN TIGHT, LEAN ON THEM HARD.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.