Front Upper control arm bushing axle replacement help needed - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-24-2011, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
3xX
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dublin, California
Posts: 335
Front Upper control arm bushing axle replacement help needed

How in the world did you guys get out the bushings on the axle for the front upper control arms?? I have tried a balljoint press, a home made press with washers and threaded rod, and even a BFH!!! I have read numerous people torching the bushing out. Yet most of the people I've seen do that had their axle dropped. I don't have the capability to do that. Only have jack stands and a jack to lift it high enough to droop. Which is why I'm hesitant to proceed with a torch in such close quarters with flammables under the car. Any other suggestions? if I can't figure this out I might have to take her to a shop. Open to ideas from those who have successfully changed their axle control arm bushings.


That's Not MUD, that's LOVE!
3xX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 06-24-2011, 09:31 PM
TallyZJ
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tallahassee
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xX View Post
How in the world did you guys get out the bushings on the axle for the front upper control arms?? I have tried a balljoint press, a home made press with washers and threaded rod, and even a BFH!!! I have read numerous people torching the bushing out. Yet most of the people I've seen do that had their axle dropped. I don't have the capability to do that. Only have jack stands and a jack to lift it high enough to droop. Which is why I'm hesitant to proceed with a torch in such close quarters with flammables under the car. Any other suggestions? if I can't figure this out I might have to take her to a shop. Open to ideas from those who have successfully changed their axle control arm bushings.
Battery drill and a 1" hole saw. Cut the middle out of the bushing so you can crush the inner sleeve and peel it out. Other wise, remove the entire upper arm (one at a time)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 - 4.0L
Capital City Jeepers
Build Thread Here
TallyZJ is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 06-24-2011, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
3xX
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dublin, California
Posts: 335
I'll try that. Thanks

That's Not MUD, that's LOVE!
3xX is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 06-25-2011, 07:27 AM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS
 
coralman's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 7,406
There is a tool made by spx miller that does this. It is part numbers 7603 and 7604 along with 8279 I think. The 4wd axles have tougher bushing mounts than my 2wd straight axle. So with 4wd the above methods should work. On mine however I would be scared to pry on anything given the flimsyness of the mounts so I will be getting the tool.
coralman is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 06-25-2011, 09:28 AM
MineRunnerZJ
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 397
I did mine about a month ago, just take a large dril bit (I think we used 3/4") and drill into the rubber. Work the drill bit around the entire bushing and it will eventually cut it out. Once the rubber is removed take either a hacksaw or sawzall and make three or four relief cuts in the metal sleeve (go slowly so you don't cut the axle mount) and tap the sleeve out with a chisel and hammer. Not too bad of a job. I did it myself in an hour, both sides from start to finish.

Jeepless.......for now. YJ build coming soon...

SOLD - 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Some go fast goodies, JK Moabs 255/75R17 BFG M/Ts, MX-6s, 4'' RE Lift - Super Ride Adj. control arms, Addco's, JKS trackbars/discos..... Kolak Exhaust/Ignition, SCT tuned!
ARB Bull Bar
SOLD - 99 TJ 4.0L AX15 -
6" Rubicon Express Springs/Disco's, Clayton's Long Arm w/ triangulated 4 link, Ford 8.8 4.56 gears. JB SS SYE, Tom Woods Driveshafts. Poison Spider Rocker Knockers
K&N Intake, Flowmaster Cat and 50 series, Custom Front/Rear Bumpers with Warn XD9000i.
Rollin on 35" BFG A/T's
SOLD - 93 ZJ 4'' RE lift, 32 BFG MT tons of other goodies!

NoVA Jeepers
MineRunnerZJ is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 10-09-2011, 09:48 PM
miller98xj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: plano
Posts: 2
Any ideas what a shop would charge to change out the uppper CA bushings? I did my lower CA bushings but the uppers CA bushings may be too much of a challenge for me, especially with the axle still in the vehicle.
miller98xj is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 12-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Rubes
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mundelein
Posts: 704
My sister got a quote form the dealer today : $835 for both UCAs. I laughed! She has an '05 WK.
Rubes is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 12-17-2011, 12:10 AM
TheHalfWit
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alexandria
Posts: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
There is a tool made by spx miller that does this. It is part numbers 7603 and 7604 along with 8279 I think. The 4wd axles have tougher bushing mounts than my 2wd straight axle. So with 4wd the above methods should work. On mine however I would be scared to pry on anything given the flimsyness of the mounts so I will be getting the tool.
I just poked around their site for 15 minutes or so, couldn't find ZJ, but I did find the TJ #30. 8279 is the spacer that goes with that kit, 7932 is the actual remover/installer. 7603 and 7604 are the bolt and nut for the tool.

Calm. C.

If a week goes by without needing to replace something, pinch me because I must be dreaming.
TheHalfWit is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 12-17-2011, 01:32 AM
KoreaZJ
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: GANGNAM STYLE
Posts: 2,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by MineRunnerZJ View Post
I did mine about a month ago, just take a large dril bit (I think we used 3/4") and drill into the rubber. Work the drill bit around the entire bushing and it will eventually cut it out. Once the rubber is removed take either a hacksaw or sawzall and make three or four relief cuts in the metal sleeve (go slowly so you don't cut the axle mount) and tap the sleeve out with a chisel and hammer. Not too bad of a job. I did it myself in an hour, both sides from start to finish.
+1 ^^^ except I didn't cut the outer sleeve, just caved it in toward the center to relieve the pressure. Fell right out.
KoreaZJ is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 07-01-2013, 09:43 AM
drrbr123
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alford
Posts: 99
Hi
I am in the UK and would willingly buy the Miller Special Tools , 7932, 7604 and 7603 IF I could acquire them. I think the RHD version of the WJ is even more difficult to get at than the LHD. I'm not too worried about getting the old ones out but I am concerned about getting the new ones in without damaging the axle mounts.
I have found three US sources but, one has $250 minimum for export, one wants $230 for the tools plus another $230 to ship via Bongo which is absurd, the third will not ship outside continental US at all.
Has anybody any (polite) suggestions please? Thank you
drrbr123 is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 07-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Glasssplinter
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Farmington
Posts: 219
Lesson learned on these, make sure your new bushings don't require you to reuse the old sleeves. Nothing worse then going through the whole process and then finding out you just destroyed what you should have saved. I torched mine on on the vehicle for one or two because of location but the rest torched them out on the bench. Air hammer works wonders if your bushing has the metal sleeve on it.

'94 ZJ, 4.0L, 231 TC
Icom V-8000 with 1/4 wave
Glasssplinter is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 07-01-2013, 02:15 PM
ZJfreek
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Santa Clara
Posts: 66
Fire.

96 Grand Cherokee 5.2 V8
ZJfreek is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 07-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Area11
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 103
I burned all of mine out, even the ones attached to the axle. I also only had jack stands and a jack so just be careful of where the fire is going. After burn out use a wire wheel on a drill to get what is left.
Area11 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
upper control arm bushing lbdyll WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum 4 07-03-2010 03:09 PM
WJ Upper Control Arm Bushing FlipFlop425 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 4 06-01-2009 11:03 AM
Front Upper CA/Axle bushing removal MAO ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 16 03-27-2007 06:35 PM
Front upper control arm bushing end smaller then another set. bjl95mustang ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 0 03-02-2007 08:37 PM
Upper control arm bushing dimension? ChipM ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 0 05-10-2004 10:27 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome