Front Upper control arm bushing axle replacement help needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front Upper control arm bushing axle replacement help needed

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
3xX
1994 ZJ 

Front Upper control arm bushing axle replacement help needed

How in the world did you guys get out the bushings on the axle for the front upper control arms?? I have tried a balljoint press, a home made press with washers and threaded rod, and even a BFH!!! I have read numerous people torching the bushing out. Yet most of the people I've seen do that had their axle dropped. I don't have the capability to do that. Only have jack stands and a jack to lift it high enough to droop. Which is why I'm hesitant to proceed with a torch in such close quarters with flammables under the car. Any other suggestions? if I can't figure this out I might have to take her to a shop. Open to ideas from those who have successfully changed their axle control arm bushings.

Unread 06-24-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xX View Post
How in the world did you guys get out the bushings on the axle for the front upper control arms?? I have tried a balljoint press, a home made press with washers and threaded rod, and even a BFH!!! I have read numerous people torching the bushing out. Yet most of the people I've seen do that had their axle dropped. I don't have the capability to do that. Only have jack stands and a jack to lift it high enough to droop. Which is why I'm hesitant to proceed with a torch in such close quarters with flammables under the car. Any other suggestions? if I can't figure this out I might have to take her to a shop. Open to ideas from those who have successfully changed their axle control arm bushings.
Battery drill and a 1" hole saw. Cut the middle out of the bushing so you can crush the inner sleeve and peel it out. Other wise, remove the entire upper arm (one at a time)
TallyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
3xX
1994 ZJ 

I'll try that. Thanks
Unread 06-25-2011, 07:27 AM   #4
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

There is a tool made by spx miller that does this. It is part numbers 7603 and 7604 along with 8279 I think. The 4wd axles have tougher bushing mounts than my 2wd straight axle. So with 4wd the above methods should work. On mine however I would be scared to pry on anything given the flimsyness of the mounts so I will be getting the tool.
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
MineRunnerZJ
1998 ZJ 

I did mine about a month ago, just take a large dril bit (I think we used 3/4") and drill into the rubber. Work the drill bit around the entire bushing and it will eventually cut it out. Once the rubber is removed take either a hacksaw or sawzall and make three or four relief cuts in the metal sleeve (go slowly so you don't cut the axle mount) and tap the sleeve out with a chisel and hammer. Not too bad of a job. I did it myself in an hour, both sides from start to finish.

SOLD - 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Some go fast goodies, JK Moabs 255/75R17 BFG M/Ts, MX-6s, 4'' RE Lift - Super Ride Adj. control arms, Addco's, JKS trackbars/discos..... Kolak Exhaust/Ignition, SCT tuned!
ARB Bull Bar
SOLD - 99 TJ 4.0L AX15 -
6" Rubicon Express Springs/Disco's, Clayton's Long Arm w/ triangulated 4 link, Ford 8.8 4.56 gears. JB SS SYE, Tom Woods Driveshafts. Poison Spider Rocker Knockers
K&N Intake, Flowmaster Cat and 50 series, Custom Front/Rear Bumpers with Warn XD9000i.
Rollin on 35" BFG A/T's
SOLD - 93 ZJ 4'' RE lift, 32 BFG MT tons of other goodies!

[B]NoVA Jeepers[/B]
MineRunnerZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
miller98xj

Any ideas what a shop would charge to change out the uppper CA bushings? I did my lower CA bushings but the uppers CA bushings may be too much of a challenge for me, especially with the axle still in the vehicle.
miller98xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
Rubes
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My sister got a quote form the dealer today : $835 for both UCAs. I laughed! She has an '05 WK.
Rubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 12:10 AM   #8
TheHalfWit
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
There is a tool made by spx miller that does this. It is part numbers 7603 and 7604 along with 8279 I think. The 4wd axles have tougher bushing mounts than my 2wd straight axle. So with 4wd the above methods should work. On mine however I would be scared to pry on anything given the flimsyness of the mounts so I will be getting the tool.
I just poked around their site for 15 minutes or so, couldn't find ZJ, but I did find the TJ #30. 8279 is the spacer that goes with that kit, 7932 is the actual remover/installer. 7603 and 7604 are the bolt and nut for the tool.

If a week goes by without needing to replace something, pinch me because I must be dreaming.
TheHalfWit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 01:32 AM   #9
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineRunnerZJ View Post
I did mine about a month ago, just take a large dril bit (I think we used 3/4") and drill into the rubber. Work the drill bit around the entire bushing and it will eventually cut it out. Once the rubber is removed take either a hacksaw or sawzall and make three or four relief cuts in the metal sleeve (go slowly so you don't cut the axle mount) and tap the sleeve out with a chisel and hammer. Not too bad of a job. I did it myself in an hour, both sides from start to finish.
+1 ^^^ except I didn't cut the outer sleeve, just caved it in toward the center to relieve the pressure. Fell right out.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
drrbr123
2000 WJ 

Hi
I am in the UK and would willingly buy the Miller Special Tools , 7932, 7604 and 7603 IF I could acquire them. I think the RHD version of the WJ is even more difficult to get at than the LHD. I'm not too worried about getting the old ones out but I am concerned about getting the new ones in without damaging the axle mounts.
I have found three US sources but, one has $250 minimum for export, one wants $230 for the tools plus another $230 to ship via Bongo which is absurd, the third will not ship outside continental US at all.
Has anybody any (polite) suggestions please? Thank you
drrbr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
Glasssplinter
1994 ZJ 

Lesson learned on these, make sure your new bushings don't require you to reuse the old sleeves. Nothing worse then going through the whole process and then finding out you just destroyed what you should have saved. I torched mine on on the vehicle for one or two because of location but the rest torched them out on the bench. Air hammer works wonders if your bushing has the metal sleeve on it.
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #12
ZJfreek
1996 ZJ 

Fire.
Unread 07-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
Area11
1998 ZJ 

I burned all of mine out, even the ones attached to the axle. I also only had jack stands and a jack so just be careful of where the fire is going. After burn out use a wire wheel on a drill to get what is left.
Area11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.