front speakers not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > front speakers not working

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
angry_trucker
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

front speakers not working

Just wondering where to begin...would like to start off with the simple stuff first.
Assuming they are not disconnected where should I look first?

angry_trucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_trucker View Post
Just wondering where to begin...would like to start off with the simple stuff first.
Assuming they are not disconnected where should I look first?
Uhh pull the door panels off and look at them
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

If no problem at the speaker end, check behind the head unit, if no problem there, look at the wires going into the doors. Found a lot of mine split because of someone swinging open the back doors like a mad man (previous owner probably I rarely use the back doors). If the wires are split I recommend adding an extra inch or two between the split ends so you have more play. Solder everything and shrink tube over the joints!
ZJNewbi3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
angry_trucker
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJNewbi3 View Post
If no problem at the speaker end, check behind the head unit, if no problem there, look at the wires going into the doors. Found a lot of mine split because of someone swinging open the back doors like a mad man (previous owner probably I rarely use the back doors). If the wires are split I recommend adding an extra inch or two between the split ends so you have more play. Solder everything and shrink tube over the joints!

Thanx...
I can see the logic here, as the front doors get used more than the back so it might be related to those wires....of course that would mean there is some bad engineering at play here...
You would think they would leave some slack in the wires, just in case they get opened to the limit of their travel...
Unread 05-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_trucker View Post
Thanx...
I can see the logic here, as the front doors get used more than the back so it might be related to those wires....of course that would mean there is some bad engineering at play here...
You would think they would leave some slack in the wires, just in case they get opened to the limit of their travel...
Well...yeah...be careful when you are adding because you could add too much and not know where to tuck it in.
Unread 05-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

I would bet that the speaker is just blown...I just replaced mine because the woofer on the driverside was completely unattached from the speaker....A $30.00 pair of 6.5" speakers from wally world and it sounds great...def better then stock...
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
angry_trucker
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba974 View Post
I would bet that the speaker is just blown...I just replaced mine because the woofer on the driverside was completely unattached from the speaker....A $30.00 pair of 6.5" speakers from wally world and it sounds great...def better then stock...
I doubt that both of them would be blown at the same time....I got both of the door panels off...everything looks good, nothing disconnected.

Put the voltmeter to the speakers and there is no power going in...
At this point I have to think, that either the wires are broken, or the stereo unit itself is the problem.....but again, it would be hard to believe, that both sides door wires would be broken at the same time, so the stereo is most likely the culprit here...

Tomorrow I might look at the back of it see, if something is disconnected, but there are no screws anywhere that I can see in order to pull it out of the dashboard....
Unread 05-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
angry_trucker
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

AC compressor & seized clutch analysis

sorry new post, but wrong thread edit
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #9
dylantheheeler
1996 ZJ 

To get to the radio screws you have to remove both "wood bezels" and the black bezel around the instrument cluster. Then there your screws are.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 05-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Two above the radio, two above the VIC, take out your ash tray and you'll find two more! All of them are the same size philips screw head also. There are clips on the sides of the wood bezel near the vents so you'll have to CAREFULLY tug a little more there. Once you have it off there will be wires to the lighter so you won't have much play in where to set the bezel. There will also be two bolts that need a socket (forgot size) to take out the radio (I have an aftermarket so this may be different). I've done this a dozen times so if you have trouble PM me and I'll get back ASAP!
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #11
angry_trucker
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

Thank you for the advice on locating those screws...it almost reminds me of an easter egg hunt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.