Front speakers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front speakers

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
fdawg4ever

Front speakers

Both front speakers randomly quit working. Is there a fuse or sumthin they are on. They are newer aftermarket speakers, roughly 6 months old. Any ideas??? Thanks

fdawg4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
um7267
1998 ZJ 

they quit at the same time? is your sound only on the rear from the head unit? checking the simple things first
to the good times and the bad, the family we have and lost, little brother 1988-2011
um7267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

If you've got the stock head with the joystick thing, that may just be dirty/crap. There is no fuse that would only blow the front speakers.

I would bet a connection somewhere. Do you get anything out of the fronts, even a little to indicate that the speakers are shot but the rest of the signal chain is working?

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
fdawg4ever

I tried the fader button. Zero sound in the front and one working in back. No sound at all from front speakers.
Unread 04-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
fdawg4ever

Also have aftermarket head unit
Unread 04-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Inifinity amp or no? Pop the doors apart to check the speakers and check connections at the head. Could it be you didn't notice when one of them died a month ago? Both at the same time doesn't make a lot of sense.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 04-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
fdawg4ever

No amp and I don't think that was the case but possibly I guess. The speakers are only like 6 months to a year old though.
Unread 07-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
SuperDave94
2011 JK Wrangler 

I read about this recently, thought it was odd....and now mine are dead too. Sometimes they will start working again momentarily. Earlier today I hit my brakes for a traffic light and boom! Front speakers blasted me. By the time I could turn the radio down.....back to rear speakers only....so I turned it back up. New stereo, no infinity amp. Weird and annoying. I'll post if I figure it out. Please update if you fixed it.
SuperDave94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
AaronButler
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave94 View Post
I read about this recently, thought it was odd....and now mine are dead too. Sometimes they will start working again momentarily. Earlier today I hit my brakes for a traffic light and boom! Front speakers blasted me. By the time I could turn the radio down.....back to rear speakers only....so I turned it back up. New stereo, no infinity amp. Weird and annoying. I'll post if I figure it out. Please update if you fixed it.

old post, but Id DEFINITELY say its a wiring issue. I replaced all of my speakers about a year ago, and as I remember, the stock connections were pretty solid and I dont think thats where the break would happen. Id check your wiring harness behind the stereo as I think that's a lot more plausible spot for chaos to happen. Definitely not a fuse problem though, fuses are all-or-nothing type of issues.
Unread 07-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

****ty install of the aftermarket head is my first bet. Especially if crimps were used.

Did you have the infinity amp previously and it was bypassed during the new install? That would add a point of failure in the amp bypass wiring under the seat.

Brakes means it's a mechanical connection problem somewhere.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:46 PM   #11
SuperDave94
2011 JK Wrangler 

My first thought was head unit install problems too. I pulled it out and wiggled all the connections/crimps etc on the harness and nothing happened, but I'll go ahead and redo it to rule it out. It does seem that they go in and out when the body is under stress in some way.

I did not have the infinity amp to my knowledge, but it had an aftermarket in it when I bought it. I have just replaced with a better aftermarket unit recently.
SuperDave94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.