Are Front to Rear Differential Ratios the same ? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Are Front to Rear Differential Ratios the same ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 09-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #31
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

True. But I have a Trussed 8.8 and not an aluminum 44

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #32
9496ZJs
1996 ZJ 

May I jump on this thread? How to buy front axle assembly?

I am shopping for a complete replacement front axle assembly on a few websites and they all seem to differentiate them by certain features. Before I make a wrong decision, I am trying to get a little data.

Most sites say something like:
1) Mfg Date ( a few date ranges in here)
2) whether UJoint Style Front Drive Shaft Yoke, or CV Style Front Drive Shaft. (most sites say U-joint style).
3) CV Style front Axle shafts, or UJoint front axle shafts
4) Gear ratio (a few 3.55 and lots of 3.73)

And here is the data on my ZJ...

1) MY '96 (mfg date on door sticker says 2-96)

2) ? I know there's a cardan joint on the end of the front shaft where it goes into the front diff. I don't know what's on the other end. Which was more prevalent for this year? Were there any Jeeps made with CV Joint?

3) Pretty sure CV Front Drive Shafts, because I remember a torn boot up against the tone ring on one of the wheels.

4) Gear ratio not visible. The tags are ripped off the differentials by an overzealous repair guy. It's a V8 engine in USA, which I think included Tow Prep, which would suggest 3.73 gear ratio, right?

And I am betting that it must be a Dana Model 30, right?

It has been WAY too long since I lived under this jeep. My dad is giving it back to me after front control arm mounting brackets shredded off. And there are apparently cracks in the shock mount perches. I don't have welding skills or patience to fight the rust. It's 40 miles away and I don't know all the details yet. This should be a fun project for me and my son.
9496ZJs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #33
joe19934
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9496ZJs View Post
I am shopping for a complete replacement front axle assembly on a few websites and they all seem to differentiate them by certain features. Before I make a wrong decision, I am trying to get a little data.

Most sites say something like:
1) Mfg Date ( a few date ranges in here)
2) whether UJoint Style Front Drive Shaft Yoke, or CV Style Front Drive Shaft. (most sites say U-joint style).
3) CV Style front Axle shafts, or UJoint front axle shafts
4) Gear ratio (a few 3.55 and lots of 3.73)

And here is the data on my ZJ...

1) MY '96 (mfg date on door sticker says 2-96)

2) ? I know there's a cardan joint on the end of the front shaft where it goes into the front diff. I don't know what's on the other end. Which was more prevalent for this year? Were there any Jeeps made with CV Joint?

3) Pretty sure CV Front Drive Shafts, because I remember a torn boot up against the tone ring on one of the wheels.

4) Gear ratio not visible. The tags are ripped off the differentials by an overzealous repair guy. It's a V8 engine in USA, which I think included Tow Prep, which would suggest 3.73 gear ratio, right?

And I am betting that it must be a Dana Model 30, right?

It has been WAY too long since I lived under this jeep. My dad is giving it back to me after front control arm mounting brackets shredded off. And there are apparently cracks in the shock mount perches. I don't have welding skills or patience to fight the rust. It's 40 miles away and I don't know all the details yet. This should be a fun project for me and my son.
I could be wrong but I think the front is a Dana 30 - you can find the ratio by getting the numbers off the Ring gear if you take the cover of the Front Diff and google the numbers off it. Look here as well http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-ax...herokee-zj.htm

Last edited by joe19934; 09-25-2013 at 08:37 PM..
joe19934 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #34
9496ZJs
1996 ZJ 

Thanks.

I expect I'll learn a lot more when I get it back in my own garage.

Any comments from the forum about whether there were mostly U-Joint drive shaft yokes versus CV joint drive shafts?

I found a couple of places where I might have a shot at a good unit. But I'm not sure whether to believe my own date code and just "ASSume".

Maybe we will wait until we get it back home...
9496ZJs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.