May I jump on this thread? How to buy front axle assembly?
I am shopping for a complete replacement front axle assembly on a few websites and they all seem to differentiate them by certain features. Before I make a wrong decision, I am trying to get a little data.
Most sites say something like:
1) Mfg Date ( a few date ranges in here)
2) whether UJoint Style Front Drive Shaft Yoke, or CV Style Front Drive Shaft. (most sites say U-joint style).
3) CV Style front Axle shafts, or UJoint front axle shafts
4) Gear ratio (a few 3.55 and lots of 3.73)
And here is the data on my ZJ...
1) MY '96 (mfg date on door sticker says 2-96)
2) ? I know there's a cardan joint on the end of the front shaft where it goes into the front diff. I don't know what's on the other end. Which was more prevalent for this year? Were there any Jeeps made with CV Joint?
3) Pretty sure CV Front Drive Shafts, because I remember a torn boot up against the tone ring on one of the wheels.
4) Gear ratio not visible. The tags are ripped off the differentials by an overzealous repair guy. It's a V8 engine in USA, which I think included Tow Prep, which would suggest 3.73 gear ratio, right?
And I am betting that it must be a Dana Model 30, right?
It has been WAY too long since I lived under this jeep. My dad is giving it back to me after front control arm mounting brackets shredded off. And there are apparently cracks in the shock mount perches. I don't have welding skills or patience to fight the rust. It's 40 miles away and I don't know all the details yet. This should be a fun project for me and my son.