Front/Rear Brake Rotor Removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front/Rear Brake Rotor Removal

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 08-15-2005, 08:00 PM   #1
AngryDog
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Front/Rear Brake Rotor Removal

I started to change the front and rear rotors on my 99WJ and immediately ran into a problem. I found it impossible to break free the anchor bolts on the backside of the anchor/caliper assembly. I broke my ratchet and a socket reducer. My electric impact wrench also could not break them loose. Is there a trick to breaking them free? I don't want to twist them off. Any help thanked in advance.

God says, “Choose for yourselves today whom you will serve”
As for me and my house, we choose the Lord. Joshua 24:15
AngryDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2005, 08:15 PM   #2
Phil Gerard
Former Mod

1995 ZJ 

I just soaked them in WD 40 and let them sit for a while but it sound to me like someone air gunned them tight which they shouldn't be.
No trick to it at all just get some PB or WD and soak em!!!

Phil
TW DC DS; ARB Bull Bar, F&R Air Lockers; Superior Axles; Warn Winch; 4.56 gears; ACOS, Addco F&R Sw Bar, JKS Discos, Rr Track Bar & Nerfs, 249>242 Swap, Stillen rotors+Kolak pads, 3 pc. Armor, RE 4.5 Kit + 2.5"BB, Adj. UCAs&LCAs, OME SS, Bilstein 5150s, 15x8 AR Diamond Backs, 33 Truxus MTs, K&N FIPK, RE 62mm TB, Perf. Distr. 4.0L Kit, Exhaust: 2.5" Kolak exhaust FM 70: Optima Yellow, Mean Grn Alt., PIAA 520s, 540s, Kevins Rack, & TB Conversion
Phil Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2005, 09:42 PM   #3
oilcounter

Are you sure you were turning the correct direction? Since the bolt you are working on is one the backside of where you are standing. Think that by turning the ratchet clockwise you'll actually be spinning the bolt OUT of the hole..
Metallic Taupe Jeep Club Member #15
oilcounter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2005, 10:43 PM   #4
Brian's 97 ZJ
1997 ZJ 

I agree, make sure you are turning the bolts the right direction.

I just replaced the front rotors and front / rear breaks on my '97 and had no trouble removing them with a 3/8" drive ratchet.

You may run into trouble removing the rotors; they may be rusted to the hub. Tap on it with a hammer to help break the rust loose, they will eventually come off.

Sometimes your bleeders will refuse to open as well. Fear not! You can just take the cap off of the brake fluid reservoir and close the caliper shut with a c-clamp. You will force the fluid back up the line and won't have to bleed that wheel. You may need to remove some fluid as you are doing this so it doesn't overflow. Note: Brake fluid will ruin your paint if it sets on it too long.

My calipers were in near perfect condition. The sliders were intact and moved freely. I could push the pistons back in by hand. Disc brakes are wonderful.

HTH

- Brian

For some reason, being a member of the CharGold Jeep Club just isn't as cool... Member #1
Brian's 97 ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2005, 07:04 PM   #5
parana6

I removed mine with a big brake bar
parana6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2005, 09:42 PM   #6
AngryDog
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Job Completed

Thanks for all the help everyone. I had to have a seal replaced in the transfer case (under warranty) so I had the tech break the anchor bolts loose. They didn't charge me anything.

God says, “Choose for yourselves today whom you will serve”
As for me and my house, we choose the Lord. Joshua 24:15
AngryDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2009, 11:59 PM   #7
chero6
1995 ZJ 

I space is not an issue, use a cheater bar to break the torque. Then proceed on with ur 3/8 ratchet. No sense Hurking it you're gonna loose.
chero6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
Brian's 97 ZJ
1997 ZJ 

ZOMBIE!!!!

For some reason, being a member of the CharGold Jeep Club just isn't as cool... Member #1
Brian's 97 ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2009, 09:33 AM   #9
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chero6 View Post
I space is not an issue, use a cheater bar to break the torque. Then proceed on with ur 3/8 ratchet. No sense Hurking it you're gonna loose.
Thanks for responding to a 4 year old thread

At first I thought Phil was back...
Unread 10-29-2009, 09:39 AM   #10
CanadianZed-J
1999 WJ 

^ He gave the OP some time to let the WD-40 soak in.

CZJ.

-'99 WJ Limited, 4.7, Patriot Blue, 2" BB, 31" Mall-Terrains, Pavement Princess
-'97 TJ, Stone White, 4" Superlift, 33" SSRs, lunchboxed rear, 12K Titan winch, and 2.5 litres of exhillirating performance.
CanadianZed-J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.