Front oil seal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front oil seal

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 08-26-2005, 06:23 PM   #1
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

Front oil seal

Did anybody have leak from the front oil seal?

I I'm doing this job this wekend and just wondering if anybody has any advice?
I had to skip the Paragon trip as I don't know when I get another chance to get to it and it leaks worse everyday. I think that sand in pine barrens from the last trip finally killed it after 132k.

PS. It's over! see below

Last edited by zaq123; 08-28-2005 at 07:25 PM..
zaq123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2005, 06:52 PM   #2
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Usually, the front oil seal (which mounts on the crankshaft) starts leaking because a ring has been worn into the shaft material itself. Preventing the rubber of the seal from making contact with the shaft. In order to prevent further leaks, there is a collar you can buy and install on the shaft to increase the OD of the shaft to allow it to seal again. Of course, when you take the seal off in order to install the collar, you have to install a new seal too.

HTH
Unread 08-28-2005, 07:17 PM   #3
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

Well, I finally finished this.
I didn't replace a timing chain as I was originally going to. I did some research and decided to leave it for now as it can do more bad than good and does its job perfectly good for now. All I did was the front crankshaft seal replacement.
It leaked pretty bad and my steering and front axle were covered in dusty oil stains.
Below are some pics if anybody needs some info on how to do it.
The good thing about this install is that you don't have to remove radiator as I was told. All you need: 13mm socket, 1 1/4 wrench, bolt-on harmonic balancer puller (AutoZone $15 to rent) 2 flat screw drivers, hammer, new front seal (I got a set, seal+repair sleeve for balancer, at a local auto store for $30. Don't try AutoZone, Advanvceautoparts, etc as they don't even have those parts in their system), rtv sealant and bunch of rags.

First, remove a serpentine belt and using 13mm socket remove 6 crankshaft pulley bolts.
Using 1 ¼ wrench remove the big harmonic balancer bolt. I use large screwdriver in one of the balancer holes to keep it from turning. You can remove the starter and have somebody to jam a screwdriver against the ring gear teeth. I didn’t do it cuz I was by myself. Besides I didn’t feel like taking the starter off. to be continued....

Last edited by zaq123; 02-22-2006 at 06:20 PM..
Unread 08-28-2005, 07:20 PM   #4
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

Remove the harmonic balancer with the puller and a ratchet.
Let me tell you, that thing works like a charm.
I used 2 flat screwdrivers to remove old seal. You need to be careful not to nick the crankshaft and the timing chain cover bore. I punched holes in the side of the seal and just pulled it with 2 screwdrivers.
Clean the bore to remove any junk from old seal. Brake cleaner does wonders here. Just spray it on a rag vs. spraying the bore as you don’t wont that stuff on the timing chain. Inspect the surface of the harmonic balancer where seal sits on. If there is a groove from seal touching it install the repair sleeve supplied with the seal kit. Mine didn’t have any groove so I didn’t have to do that. But old seal definitely looked basted (rubber ring was worn down pretty good)
It is a good idea to check the actual balancer itself for cracks damage etc. Here are some issues that can be caused by bad balancer I found on the net:
• A leaking front main seal
• Visible deterioration of the rubber between the balancer hub and outer ring.
• Visible cracking or warping of the balancer hub or outer ring.
• Excessive engine vibration.
• Slipping, squealing drive belts, belt damage, accelerated belt wear or frequent belt replacement.
• A highly polished spot on pulley grooves (warped balancer).
• Elongation of the balancer keyway or wear on the balancer hub/crankshaft.
• Alternator, power steering pump, air conditioner or water pump failure.
• Engines that do not run properly when adjusting the timing, or poor performance and irregular idle
. I didn’t have a seal installer so I found 2” plumbing coupling that worked perfect with balancer’s large bolt.
to be continued...

Last edited by zaq123; 02-22-2006 at 06:22 PM..
Unread 08-28-2005, 07:21 PM   #5
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

You probably could use 2 ½” socket to do above but I didn’t have it. I used some rtv on the outer edge of the seal [ Seal goes in about ¼”.
I also put some rtv sealant in the keyway of the balancer just to be on a safe side and prevent oil from seeping in case key is not perfect. Now just install the balancer, pulley, put the belt back and you good to go.
No more oil stains on the steering and the front axle. It took me about 2 hour and I took my time taking pics and inspecting other things under there. If you have any questions let me know.

Last edited by zaq123; 02-22-2006 at 06:32 PM..
Unread 08-28-2005, 07:52 PM   #6
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Zag: great write-up. Thanks for sharing that. It’s the people that take the extra step, that really give others encouragement to tackle something that; on their own. I know for myself it’s sometimes hard to take several breaks to clean your hands and snap a few photos. Especially when you simply just want to get the job done.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2005, 08:00 PM   #7
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Bravo! Consider this added to the FAQ.

Unread 08-28-2005, 08:05 PM   #8
Phil Gerard
Former Mod

1995 ZJ 

We were wondering where you were! We were counting on you for more head count against the TJs!!
Sorry you couldn't make it but GREAT Write UP!!!

Phil
TW DC DS; ARB Bull Bar, F&R Air Lockers; Superior Axles; Warn Winch; 4.56 gears; ACOS, Addco F&R Sw Bar, JKS Discos, Rr Track Bar & Nerfs, 249>242 Swap, Stillen rotors+Kolak pads, 3 pc. Armor, RE 4.5 Kit + 2.5"BB, Adj. UCAs&LCAs, OME SS, Bilstein 5150s, 15x8 AR Diamond Backs, 33 Truxus MTs, K&N FIPK, RE 62mm TB, Perf. Distr. 4.0L Kit, Exhaust: 2.5" Kolak exhaust FM 70: Optima Yellow, Mean Grn Alt., PIAA 520s, 540s, Kevins Rack, & TB Conversion
Phil Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2005, 06:13 PM   #9
AWILD

Can anyone confirm that this part # is 4897297AA ? Because locally this part is around $35 and I found it HERE for about $6. Just wanna clarify that it is everything that I need in regards to parts.
Unread 11-01-2005, 06:19 PM   #10
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWILD
Can anyone confirm that this part # is 4897297AA ? Because locally this part is around $35 and I found it HERE for about $6. Just wanna clarify that it is everything that I need in regards to parts.
I can't confirm that part # but it's $35 because that kit also includes timing cover gasket and water pump gasket
Unread 11-01-2005, 06:22 PM   #11
AWILD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123
I can't confirm that part # but it's $35 because that kit also includes timing cover gasket and water pump gasket
Am I going to NEED that stuff?
Unread 11-01-2005, 06:31 PM   #12
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWILD
Am I going to NEED that stuff?
No, unless you want to do timing chain and water pump at the same time.
Unread 11-01-2005, 07:38 PM   #13
AWILD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123
No, unless you want to do timing chain and water pump at the same time.
Excellent. Thank you for saving me about $30
Unread 02-20-2006, 04:08 PM   #14
DarkMesa8

This post is a little old, but zaq, did you do this on your 97 5.2L V8? The pics are gone, and I'm just making sure you haven't switched jeeps recently.

My front main seal is toast as well.
DarkMesa8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2006, 04:13 PM   #15
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

Can't help with the pics but yes that was on his '97 5.2L

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.