front noise after removing front skid plate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > front noise after removing front skid plate

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-06-2008, 08:09 AM   #1
davets
1956 CJ5 

front noise after removing front skid plate

2002 WJ. I removed the front skid plate to fix a tranny line. I didn't put it back on yet. Now when entering a driveway or going over dip in the road there is a scraping noise up front. It sounds like if the sway bar end links are making contact with the inner fender liner and scraping as the suspension cycles up. Not a metal to metal sound. I see no points of contact. I sprayed up the end link bushings, frame mount sway bar bushings and control arm bushings with silicone and it still is there. I'll disconnect the shocks first then the sway bar end links to see if that does it but any ideas? Thanks.

*** 1956 CJ-5, milled head,elec fan,power steering,4-whl discs,rubber mounted cage,all drivetrain and engine incl distributor vented into firewall,Saturn overdrive,Lockrites,Rezeppa joints,2 1/2" springs arched add'l 1 1/2", homemade expanding shackles,reinforced frame,glass tub, stainless tank, 31X15.5 Terras on 15x10 and 15X12 rims-trail, 31X10.5 A/T's on 15X10 alum rims-street,Amsoil.
davets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2008, 03:23 AM   #2
311LJ
311Popo

2004 LJ Wrangler 

well I'm not exactly sure. but with your skid plate does it use some bolts that hold part of the "frame" and stuff together? maybe without them in there are spots that are separating or grinding. put the plate back on and see if it fixes it, or look where the bolts go and see if they were holding anything together besides the skid plate to the "frame/unibody"
07 WK Overland, Hemi, Chrome bug deflector
[SOLD] Jimmer 01 WJ *2009 GCOTY* WJ Build Thread
*UTAH JEEPCREW #01*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffjeeper View Post
I ♡ John
311LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 05:54 AM   #3
davets
1956 CJ5 

Thanks. Skid plate back on and still noisy. One shock leaking. Still haven't pulled them off to check.
*** 1956 CJ-5, milled head,elec fan,power steering,4-whl discs,rubber mounted cage,all drivetrain and engine incl distributor vented into firewall,Saturn overdrive,Lockrites,Rezeppa joints,2 1/2" springs arched add'l 1 1/2", homemade expanding shackles,reinforced frame,glass tub, stainless tank, 31X15.5 Terras on 15x10 and 15X12 rims-trail, 31X10.5 A/T's on 15X10 alum rims-street,Amsoil.
davets is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.