Front end work - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front end work

Black Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 05-02-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
streetzj
1997 ZJ 

Front end work

MyJeep needs a ton of front end work. Ball joints, shocks, and then that trackbar. But that assembly concerns me the most -- is it attached to that horizontal shock? Is it also attached to the tie rods? How expensive is all that stuff and how difficult is it to replace? The sway bar is ok!

streetzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 12:56 AM   #2
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

The trackbar attaches from the passenger side of the front axle, to the drivers side frame via a bracket. I'm assuming by horizontal shock you mean steering stabilizer? That is attached to the drag link. Are you sure you need a track bar?

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 12:58 AM   #3
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

This is helpful, from an xj but pretty much the same

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 02:33 AM   #4
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Here's a real good thread by coralman on replacing most the front end parts you mentioned.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c.../#post15387705

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 02:50 AM   #5
streetzj
1997 ZJ 

oh man, you guys are awesome -- i found that same image and made a really crappy copy to show you my problems.

the red circles are the joints that look like crap to me, but i've been driving on them this way for almost three years.

the yellow bar seems to split off and go to the pitman arm and both wheels. it looks like all of these are worn connections, correct? what piece is this?

the green bar is the steering stabilizer, and that looks ok.

the blue bar is a sold bar that goes from the steering stabilizer and something more solid, but that looks ok.

not highlighted are the sway bar links -- i did those two years ago and they seem fine.

so am i just looking at replacing that yellow bar, which appears to have tie rod ends? How difficult? would i need an alignment afterward?

Thanks!
jeepfrontend.jpg

Unread 05-03-2014, 05:10 AM   #6
streetzj
1997 ZJ 

ok, so it seems i just need a tie rod end for the driver's side, a long tie rod end for the passenger side, and a tie rod end for the pitman arm?
Unread 05-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #7
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

How are you judging these are worn out? Keep in mind they're ball/socket connections where they'll swivel some and won't always be straight up/down.

Jack the front end up some, leave the tires on the ground, then have someone else turn the steering back/forth while you're looking for loose parts/joints. You can also use a pry bar to try to move them up/down to see if there's slop/play in the ball/socket itself.

To check your ball joints jack a front end tire up about 3-4" off the ground, stick a 2x4 under the tire from the front then have someone lift it up/down while you're looking at the upper/lower ball joint for play/slop. There shouldn't be any if they're still good.

When replacing tie rod ends start hosing the threads down ahead of time with rust cutter. You'll most likely have to put some heat to the threads/sleeve, particularly if you live in the salt/rust belt. Measure the threads in the pipes on the old ones and try to tighten a new one in the same length. But you'll probably still need an alignment after all this front end work. Good luck!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.