Front end solution - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front end solution

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-11-2011, 01:56 AM   #1
mlhelfin
1995 ZJ 

Front end solution

Got major 9-3 o'clock play in front tires with jeep elevated. Going to replace all my tie rod ends, track bar, and throw a new set of shocks all around. This endeavor is a result of "DEATH WOBBLE". I'm going to give this an attempt before moving on to my centerlink and pittman arm. I've considered that my control arm bushings might need replaced. This is the preliminary to going full lift. I know I'm not the first one to have this problem. I've read the threads and think this might be my solution to my problem. Lay it on me! Thanks, Mark.

mlhelfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 03:39 AM   #2
mudruna
1994 ZJ 

I would check the steering box adjustment too, also get under there with a bar and try to move everything, then with the tires on the ground have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look for things.
Unread 08-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
jreyes0a39oz
1998 ZJ 

death wobble check your basics first like balance tires and good stabilizer links
jreyes0a39oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

First and foremost do tire balance and check the trackbar, both ends. These two account for like 90% of DW cases. Does it only happen when you hit bumps, or when you get up to speed?
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 03:36 AM   #5
mlhelfin
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightluckey View Post
First and foremost do tire balance and check the trackbar, both ends. These two account for like 90% of DW cases. Does it only happen when you hit bumps, or when you get up to speed?
Yep, at speed and the bump in the road sets it off. I'm pretty confident tie rod replacement and a new track bar will solve the problem. Tie rods look pretty beat. Going to get under it this weekend and check everything out. I've got 2 other vehicles so I'm not in a bind for transportation to work. I'm still driving it but I'm not using it on the highway. I use it around town and take it to work but I take the back roads so its a nice cruise pace right beside the Delaware River pretty much all the way to work. I just got home from work. 4 am. Overtime!!!!!!!!! Parked my car, jumping in my jeep and heading to Walmart. Probably going to be a 'couple of weeks before I get to it. Works going back to 7 days a week so no time. I'll get parts ordered over the weekend and definately will let you know if it was the track bar. I know you want know. I'll see if I can get this one done a little faster than my brake job. Time for my therapy drive. Mark
Unread 08-12-2011, 04:11 AM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreyes0a39oz View Post
death wobble check your basics first like balance tires and good stabilizer links
There aren't the basics of death wobble.

Hear you on those 7 days a week...been doing that for the last year.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 04:50 AM   #7
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

All work and no play makes you old too soon gentlemen. Take it from an old fart, keep some time for yourselves.
coralman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 05:26 AM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
All work and no play makes you old too soon gentlemen. Take it from an old fart, keep some time for yourselves.
i'm there 8 days a week. working on the other hand, comes in spurts. the benefit of being a skilled trade.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I'm kinda like that, been on call 24/7 for 20 years seems like.
coralman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #10
paulyboy
1996 ZJ 

yep improper tire balance gave it to me check that first.
paulyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 04:14 AM   #11
mlhelfin
1995 ZJ 

I'm not out of this thread yet. Just got home from work about an hour ago. Its 6am and pouring rain but I'm going to get to the bottom of this. Taking a friend and heading to the car wash around 10am to get out of the rain and do some research. Doing some wheel turning, laying the creeper down and going to find out what's up. I appreciate all of your advice. Will keep you all posted. Mark

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.