Front End Noise while turning Right - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front End Noise while turning Right

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 12-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
bigray122
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Front End Noise while turning Right

This noise started about a year ago. Keep in mind I'm away from home for extremely long periods of time. When I got home in September I noticed it getting more frequent and louder. This only occurs when I'm turning right. When I'm in a turn it sounds like there is a whirring or metal on metal oscillating sound. Also, when driving straight the front end shimmies. I've got a new tie rod end (drivers side), a new track bar and I'm gonna replace them tomorrow.

Other question. What else should I replace on the front end steering parts? Its at 217,000 miles.

bigray122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Probably wheel bearings

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
Gcnettl
1998 ZJ 

First they noise. Does it appear to come from the front, the rear, the left front...etc?

As far as the shimmy in the front. Tire balancing is the first step in identifying these problems. After this, you need to do the shake, push pull, jerk test with all your components in the front end. Jack up the front so that both tires are off the ground. Grab each front tire and push-pull psh-pull with one hand at the 12'clock position an the other at six. This can give you a feel for wheel bearings (outer) and your ball joints. Next do this at 3 and 9 positions. Have a helper observe your steering linkage. Notice for slack in any of the ball joints ie tie rod ends, steering etc.

Also do a thorough inspection of sway bar rubbers and control arm bushings rubbers.
Gcnettl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
bigray122
1993 XJ Cherokee 

First sorry for the really late response. Like almost a year later.... The shimmy was the tire going bad. The rubbing/squeaking sound only happens when I'm turning right and as I said it come from the left front area. I'm really going hard and heavy at a lot of repairs since I just come off tour.....
Unread 11-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

At 217,000 miles anything original in the front end should get replaced.

Jack up the tire and do the wiggle test. It can only be a few things if it's rotational and only when you turn right. Most likely the wheel bearing as stated before.

Is your Jeep stock? Is the tire rubbing on the splash guard or control arm or anything else at full turn? Crank the steering wheel and have a look.

Need more information otherwise.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
bigray122
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins View Post
At 217,000 miles anything original in the front end should get replaced.

Jack up the tire and do the wiggle test. It can only be a few things if it's rotational and only when you turn right. Most likely the wheel bearing as stated before.

Is your Jeep stock? Is the tire rubbing on the splash guard or control arm or anything else at full turn? Crank the steering wheel and have a look.

Need more information otherwise.
Gonna try the wiggle test and such. It is stock, no tire rubbing. Slowly replacing front end parts. Need to order tie rod and ends, sway bar bushings. Most likely ball joints and wheel bearings as well. New front shocks are going in this week. And hoping to get and rebuild a head from a JY soon.
Unread 11-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Let us know what you find out after jacking everything up and checking for worn/loose parts.

All that stuff is relatively easy besides ball joints, they are a fun project.
Unread 11-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
bigray122
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Just interested, where do you guys shop for quality, decently priced parts. I use RockAuto some. Also, tie rod ends. How the hell many are there on the front. I know the Actual Tie Rod itself comes with an end on it. How many individual tie rod ends do I need and are they side specific. If they are, does anyone have part numbers?
Unread 11-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigray122 View Post
Just interested, where do you guys shop for quality, decently priced parts. I use RockAuto some. Also, tie rod ends. How the hell many are there on the front. I know the Actual Tie Rod itself comes with an end on it. How many individual tie rod ends do I need and are they side specific. If they are, does anyone have part numbers?
I use RockAuto and the Mopar websites. I try to steer away from local parts stores because it's all Chinese junk. Even Moog is owned by a Japanese company now, Federal Mogul.

The tie rod itself does not have one in it, you are thinking of the drag link. The drag link has a joint end which is built into it, there's one on each end of the tie rod, and one that mounts to the pitman arm on the other side of the drag link. The other joint is for the track bar, it is part of it. Can't help you with the part numbers, and apparently neither can the employees at Advance Auto.

Unread 11-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
gmtech22
1998 ZJ 

I just replaced most everything on my front end with the kit listed on 1aauto.com everything has been good so far and all parts were correct
gmtech22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech22 View Post
I just replaced most everything on my front end with the kit listed on 1aauto.com everything has been good so far and all parts were correct
Thank you for your order.

Click Here^^ For a Great Selection Of Auto Repair Parts
CALL TOLL FREE 866-403-3393
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
front end noise , front end shake , shimmy , wobble

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.