Front end noise 98 GC, not sway bar links - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front end noise 98 GC, not sway bar links

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-23-2003, 12:20 PM   #1
techie

Front end noise 98 GC, not sway bar links

I have a 98 GC. I have a rattle/clunking noise that is getting worse. I'm going to take it in, but I always like to try to figure out what it is and what a reasonable expected cost is before I take it in and they give me the full pitch.

I replaced the sway bar links about 10k ago, they look fine. The noise seems to be on the drivers side. It happens at lower speeds and is worse when making right turns. I looked at the steering box and the three bolts seem fine.

The noise sounds similar to what the sway bar links sounded like before I had them replaced, except it's louder and more distinct.

What else could it be besides the links or steering box, and seem to be more from the drivers side.

Any input is greatly appreciated

Thanks

techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2003, 12:53 AM   #2
Colorado 5.9
1998 ZJ 

It could be a loose track-bar bolt or loose control arm bolt. If any of the four bolts are not loose. One or more of the bushings could be trashed.
ZJ 98 5.9 LTD. Lots of mods. 7" T&T's Long Arm Lift ,BFG KM2"s,35X12.50x16's,4:56's, Vanco brake upgrade, M1intake,Holley52mmTB,MikeLeach Headers,, Arb'ed HP D30,Aussie Locked rear,Procomp MX6 Shocks,Arb front,RearTR bumpers,ECT.ECT.

Latest Pics
Colorado 5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2003, 07:22 AM   #3
techie

Thanks, I'll take a look at those.
Unread 09-05-2003, 12:49 PM   #4
techie

Update, if anyone cares, it was because of my transfer case bushing being worn. My Catalytic converter is making some noise so they are going to replace it under warranty since I'm under 8/80

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.