Front End Horrors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front End Horrors

TJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-04-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
Compgeek789
1994 ZJ 

Front End Horrors

I've been noticing weird things going on in the front end for a few months now. It started with a kinda high-pitched moan from the front-left when I went over a bump slowly, especially while turning. It went on for a few weeks, until it evolved into a thunk. It was especially prominent, but recently started to settle down. A couple times, if I turned at an intersection and pressed the gas, it would let out a loud thunk, but that dissipated.
I do have a bad VC, but that's been like that for years. New upper and lower ball joints on the left, and the ones on the right are good. Somewhat new front driveshaft and new U-joints on the rear driveshaft. New tie rod end on one side of the vehicle. I also checked the shocks; they're not leaking. The vehicle doesn't make any sounds while going over bumps at speed.

It seems like whenever I fix something, that something else pops up.

Any thoughts welcome. Wanted to travel but that's now a pipe dream.

Compgeek789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2014, 10:19 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Yea well a bad VC will wear out the front end. You are just feeding it new parts lol.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #3
elijahpr
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Yea well a bad VC will wear out the front end. You are just feeding it new parts lol.
What he said. I thought that was the reason why people who knew they had bad VCs removed the driveshaft until they could fix them or swap out the transfer case..
elijahpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
KJK
1998 ZJ 

It's probably worn out lower control arm bushings that are clunking. It was on mine anyway. They take a beating from bumping up against parking stops over the years.
Unread 07-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
Compgeek789
1994 ZJ 

I hope I didn't ruin anything too expensive.

Sent from some mud bog using JeepForum
Compgeek789 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.