Front-end Help (Shaking, Vibration, not Death Wobble?) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front-end Help (Shaking, Vibration, not Death Wobble?)

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 12-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #16
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonstebbins View Post
vodka.

I'm playing halo 4 and drinking captain.
gta v

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #17
KDMatt
1996 ZJ 

Thanks for the heaps of replies, guys, though I'd appreciate it if we could try to keep things on topic a bit for now. I'll crack a brew once I've got this thing pinned down.

It sounds like, perhaps, I should just crawl up under the front of the beast and have her crank the wheel side to side to see if I can spot some play in the components.

I can get a new track bar and/or new sway bar links pretty easily from the parts store, but, as I mentioned before, I'm not inclined to just throw $$ at the thing without knowing for sure what's going on, ya know?

Is it hard to do the control arms on these things? Just glancing at them makes it seems pretty straight forward, but I could be wrong.

Thanks!
KDMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #18
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

A dry steering test (having someone move the wheel while you watch for play) should always be one of the first steps when diagnosing a steering/DW issue.

Throwing parts at it is never good. However, you can pretty much assume that all your bushings are bad if they are stock.
JohnCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 11:05 PM   #19
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

How dare you criticize us for socializing after all the suggestions we gave you!

You won't know what it is until you replace some things. Check both ends of the track bar first, then replace the links regardless. The control arms are simple, two bolts on each one. But do one at a time otherwise the axles/body will shift and it will be a PITA to line everything up again. Use a screw driver/pry bar and try to wiggle the arms back and fourth to check for bushing slop.

As you said, having somebody turn the steering wheel back and fourth is the best way to spot sloppy/broken joints.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #20
AmishFury
1997 ZJ 

another thing to check is the front driveshaft...
AmishFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #21
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishFury
another thing to check is the front driveshaft...
Just like tires, a front driveshaft will not cause random vibrations. The front driveshaft bent/unbalanced/etc would cause constant vibration at hwy speeds.
JohnCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.