Front End Grinding Noise..I know this has been asked, please look. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front End Grinding Noise..I know this has been asked, please look.

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!KOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 01-18-2006, 03:14 PM   #1
boosoo

Front End Grinding Noise..I know this has been asked, please look.

2000 Grand Cherokee 4x4 V8. The infamous grinding noise from the front end. Occurs at all speeds. If I'm going around 65 or so and accelerate a little bit it quiets for just a second then comes back. Here is a list of things recently replaced:

1) CV joints on front driveshaft
2) Front Wheel Bearings
3) Carrier on front end
4) Fluids; Tranny pan was dropped to make sure no metal was in it.

I'm lost, and so are 3 different mechanics. Any ideas??? I've searched the forum but no luck.

boosoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
jeepholic

When faced with this type of problem I use a $9 stethescope. It will pinpoint the problem. That means putting it on a lift with someone inside it and putting it in gear while you listen underneath. It's not my favorite place to be but that little stethescope will find the problem. I am guessing with the carrier (#3) they also did the R&P bearings.

94 I6 ZJ at 4", 33's and front locker and 4.11 gears. Swampy Bypass.
[B]Black Jeep Club Member Ver. 2 #51[/B]
jeepholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
homless32

For a few days I have had a problem somewhere in the front end of my 07 wrangler JK. It sounds like there is some sort of scratching. I only hear the sound when I'm driving (not stopping) and I hear it louder and rougher when I am turning.

I'm suspecting it's one of the following-
U joint
Bearing
Transmition
Drive shaft
Steering stabilizer

If you have had a similar problem or know what this problem may be it would be a huge help

Thanks
homless32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
RazorbackZJ
1994 ZJ 

If your front drive shaft is a double cardon i'd check it. Drive shaft centering yoke.
RazorbackZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
Jeff8989

Many thanks
Jeff8989 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.