Front end clunk when turning and under compression or extension - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front end clunk when turning and under compression or extension

1 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-22-2009, 05:50 AM   #1
FirefightinWJ
2004 WJ 

Front end clunk when turning and under compression or extension

I've had a gremlin clunk pop up on my WJ. It began about a week after I installed my UC springs and IRO links. Note, the links were used, but the bushings appeared to be in good shape. The clunk started during a wheeling trip at Silver Lake Sand Dunes (lots of high speed suspension flexion which I'm sure had alot to do with it).

Basically, I get a clunk, mainly from the drivers side, when I turn out of a driveway, onto a side street, etc. The clunk only occurs when the suspension either compresses or extends during the turn (i.e. entering or exiting my sloped driveway). Initial suspicion was and still is sway bar related, but I'm having issues narrowing down the culprit. Everything has been checked for tightness also.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

32" BFG M/Ts on JK 17's

-Devin
FirefightinWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Please let me know if you find an answer. I have the same problem on our XK, and I am completely stock. It is pretty annoying. I can find nothing lose or broken-looking. I can usually work around the problem with gradual turns and softer braking, but it is annoying. I heard the valet clunk it at brunch a few weeks ago. It surely does not seem like a $45K vehicle at that very moment in time. It sounds like you just hit a small animal inadvertently.
Unread 06-22-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
Toliver09
1991 XJ Cherokee 

have you checked the trac bar axle mount? it likes to work loose over time
Unread 06-22-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
moparrr07
1998 ZJ 

chances are its a sway bar link, as it only makes the noise when the suspention is flexing, chances are thats why the person was selling the end links
Unread 06-22-2009, 08:18 PM   #5
vansskaterfreek
1998 ZJ 

mine does the same thing.... when i move the sway bar with my hand, right where the link is, you can see the ball in the socket on the link moving up and down....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.