Front driveshaft too long after swapping front differential - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front driveshaft too long after swapping front differential

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #1
jjeeeeppss

Front driveshaft too long after swapping front differential

1998 Grand Cherokee with 249 Transfer Case.

Okay; I've swapped out the front differential and control arms (both were bent).

The one I put in has a bigger differential case so it's longer, making my driveshaft too long.

Here's the question:
Is it okay to drive it without a front driveshaft until I get mine shortened?

Thanks.

jjeeeeppss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Driving without it can cause problems, and will probably take a lot of life out of your VC
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
jjeeeeppss

That's what I've heard, but I've also heard that the 249 transfer case on the 1998 is different and won't damage the VC if you drive without the front drive shaft.
I think I'll play it safe though.
Thanks.
Unread 08-11-2008, 09:44 PM   #4
ajmorell

What did you swap your front end out for?
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
CLNinja
1993 ZJ 

what front end did you put in thats larger than the D30?
[color="#003300"]Matt[/COLOR]
[color="white"][CENTER][size="1"]
[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434081"][color="white"]Click Here For My Build Thread[/COLOR][/url]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][B]**September 2009 Grand Cherokee Of The Month**[/B]
[SIZE="2"][url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123"][color="white"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #88[/COLOR][/url][/SIZE][/CENTER]
CLNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2008, 05:21 AM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

post a picture of your front axle, mainly the back half of it.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2008, 08:38 AM   #7
anticrombie
1996 ZJ 

First thing, you'll be fine if you remove the front shaft and drive it. 96+ you can do this.

Second, I'm curious as well as to what diff you put in there that's bigger? The only thing I can think of is the hp30.
anticrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2008, 09:08 AM   #8
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

96+ can be run without a front driveshaft with minimal if any issues. A driveline shop will be able to shorten your driveshaft and rebalance for a nominal fee.

I seem to remember that the OP had a failure in his stock D30, so got a D30 from another Jeep. For some reason (anomaly?), the differential case was a bit longer. As I remember, it was a low pinion 30.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #9
5.9 ANDY
zj tractor

1998 ZJ 

need to know wich axle it is.....

where in calli are you? i might be able to give you a hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_grind View Post
It's threads like this that make me wonder why people lift there jeeps
its comments like this that make me wonder why some people are jerks.

build thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...ndard-1056365/
5.9 ANDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2008, 02:13 PM   #10
Colorado 5.9
1998 ZJ 

Diff. year D30 would be long pinion v's short pinion which he had. dammed if I can remember which years had what though.
ZJ 98 5.9 LTD. Lots of mods. 7" T&T's Long Arm Lift ,BFG KM2"s,35X12.50x16's,4:56's, Vanco brake upgrade, M1intake,Holley52mmTB,MikeLeach Headers,, Arb'ed HP D30,Aussie Locked rear,Procomp MX6 Shocks,Arb front,RearTR bumpers,ECT.ECT.

Latest Pics
Colorado 5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #11
jjeeeeppss

Okay. I swapped it out because the original got damaged (axle housing on left side bent back and control arms on that side bent pretty bad).
I looked at many junkyards, but couldn't find the shorter one like i had. It sounds like it is the long/short pinion thing.
The only Shorter one (like mine) I could find was damaged, so I figured I'd try the longer one and also get the driveshaft out of the vehicle it came out of.
For some reason, the driveshaft that it came with is even longer than my original (unless the guy at the junkyard got it mixed up with another one). Maybe the junkyard jeep had a different engine and/or transmission which made the transfer case further back.
Both mine and he junkyard one had the type 249 Transfer case. But, the one at the junkard is a '96 while mine is a '98.

I'm in San Jose, CA and figure I'll check Southbay Driveline to see about having the driveshaft shortened.

I do plan to change the yoke out so I can use the original U-joint driveshaft instead of the CV joint one it came with. That'll be a hastle because of the pinion bearing pre-load, but I'll try measuring the rotational torque and set it back to the same value ( I don't think I can use the nut position as a guide for getting it back to where it is since it'll be a different yoke). It's possible that the original driveshaft will fit (have enough play in the slider), but I'm not counting on it.

Thanks for all the inputs.
Unread 08-12-2008, 05:19 PM   #12
Iron_Rock

1996 1/2 and newer ZJ's have the TJ style (shorter) pinion. Older than 1996 1/2 have the longer pinion.
Iron_Rock is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.