Front driveshaft disconnect - 249 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front driveshaft disconnect - 249

JK Front 3 Link Prototype - Clayton Off RoadDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 04-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
capcyclone

1998 ZJ 

Front driveshaft disconnect - 249

So, an interesting topic came up at my work today. A guy has a '97 zj with a 249 transfer case. His front driveshaft is disconnected - presumably because the VC was bad, but he doesn't really know why (it was that way when he bought it).

I'm thinking of buying it from him for my son, but would definitely want to either swap the TC or do the VC swap. If the driveshaft has been disconnected - is there anything I'd need to look at/do besides trying a VC swap, reconnecting and see where that leaves me?

Unread 04-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
Snowfan2
1998 ZJ 

The shaft may have been removed by someone seeking better mpg. Put the shaft back in and see how she rolls.

Be sure to run it up to highway speeds and check for noise and vibes in the front diff.

Maybe the VC is toast, maybe not. I have a good 249 for cheap if you need it.
Snowfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
WkndFun
1998 ZJ 

I did the same to mine when my VC went bad.. Sounded like an extremely bad wheel bearing, and anything over 40mph was impossible. I just found a rebuilt 249 off a buddy and swapped that in for the time being. A VC repair kit are really only found on Ebay and are more than a new transfer case. The VC is actually a discontinued part. Even after I swapped the TC, I kept the front driveshaft out for awhile. Or even the 2 hour road trip to the offroad park. Believe it or not, I gain almost 2mpg with it out..
WkndFun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WkndFun View Post
Or even the 2 hour road trip to the offroad park. Believe it or not, I gain almost 2mpg with it out..
No you dont. With the shaft in or out, everything still rotates. There may be small gains, but nowhere near enough to measure. If you have swapped in manual hubs, then its different, but you will never make up the cost in gas savings.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
jt_armstrong
1994 ZJ 

Wouldn't a new VC just sieze up if you ran it with one driveshaft disconnected?
jt_armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt_armstrong View Post
For you it would. 93-95 are designed different. 96+ it's ok to take the front shaft out.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
capcyclone

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt_armstrong View Post
In my case, I was suggesting that I'd put a new VC in and reconnect the front driveshaft. I'm one of the weird ones on this forum that likes the AWD 249.
Unread 05-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

New vc and a new driveshaft, good to go. The 249 is a great case.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
capcyclone

1998 ZJ 

So we bought the '97 for my son. We reconnected a front drive shaft. All seems okay.

I've seen my next question asked more than a few times - but how can I determine whether the VC is bad or not? I've read about doing the figure 8s in a parking lot - and that if there is a lot of "binding" - that's a good indication of VC trouble. But can someone describe "binding" in this context? What occurs? The vehicle will have a lot of hesitation to do the turns? There will be excessive rubber marks on the ground? Both? A better description of what people mean when they say "binding" would be a big help to me here.
Unread 05-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Hopping, wobbling, hard to turn, lumpy feeling, and black tire marks are sure bets.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #11
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

If it drives like it's in 4 part time then the vc is bad. When it dies it basically locks the shafts at the same speed and will act funny in turns.

Figure 8s are the best test. Take a drive around the neighborhood first to get things warm.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.