Front driveshaft causing vibration, not the driveshaft itself - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front driveshaft causing vibration, not the driveshaft itself

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREE

Unread 12-31-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
chaser12
1995 ZJ 

Front driveshaft causing vibration, not the driveshaft itself

I have been trying to get to the bottom of this problem for a month now, and sadly have made little progress. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Back story: Clicking developed when turning and braking. Naturally I replaced both front cv axles. Didn't change anything. Next I took out the front driveshaft. Drove around the block, no clicking at all. Grabbed an exact driveshaft from a U-Pull It yard. Shaft was the same length as the one I had. Put it in.

Current Problem: Vehicle vibrates at speeds above 60mph (not as bad as a death wobble, but enough). Vibrations started about 300 miles ago, I've been easy on it since. May be coincidence, but after a 70mile trip at 59mph (and once or twice hitting vibrations speeds), came to a stop to find a terrible burning differential smell, with fluid leaking out both sides of the front axle and a bunch of "whining" noise. I was able to "tip toe" it home. Took the driveshaft to driveshaft shop. Guys looked at it and said its not the problem, the driveshaft is perfectly fine. On the way home, left the driveshaft out, and found the vibration is non existent at 60.

Short: Replaced driveshaft with a used U-Pull it. Vehicle vibrates above 60, has leaked some differential fluid out sides of axle. Took driveshaft out, vibration is gone. Took the driveshaft to driveline shop, and they looked at it and said its more than fine.

Vehicle: 1995 ZJ 5.2L V8. 249 TC. 138,000

chaser12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
jacko411
1997 ZJ 

you need to rebuild your front diff, pop the cover off and check the fluid, then lift both front wheels with the front driveshaft out and turn your wheels to inspect the gears and listen for any crunching etc. if all seems well there grab some gear marking compound (prob pick some up at any parts store. you could use bearing grease if your real desperate) and check your gear pattern, you will be able to find the proper meshing pattern online.

Also if your have a quadratrac transfercase make sure your tires match on all 4 corners and not 2 new and 2 old (if they are different the diffs will spin at different speeds and cause all kinds of issues)
jacko411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

Definately something in the front diff, bearings etc.
And just a side note, be carefull when you have the front drive-shaft out on a zj with a 249, before model year 1996, they have been known to roll, even when in park.
SAR-Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
chaser12
1995 ZJ 

Thanks for the pointers, I will see what I can do to check out the front differential. I have the shaft still out, and am making sure to park with the E-Brake.
Unread 01-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Do you still have your original drive shaft? If so, swap them back out.

I just went through something similar and it turns out the centering ball in the double U-joint was about 1/8" worn down. This caused me to have vibrations start at 40mph and steadily get worse as speed went up. Never made it to 60mph with it like that, didn't want to grenade the shaft completely at that speed.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser12 View Post
Thanks for the pointers, I will see what I can do to check out the front differential. I have the shaft still out, and am making sure to park with the E-Brake.
driving around without the front shaft in will cause the viscous coupling in the transfer case to wear out VERY VERY quickly.

my guess is pinion bearings or spiders are trashed.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
chaser12
1995 ZJ 

Sadly I no longer have the other shaft. I turned it in for the core. That's not too upsetting considering the original one was big time shot, the loudest clicking clacking you'd ever hear. But now all I did was inherit the vibration problems.

I'm not driving the jeep since I know itll wear out the 249 in a heart beat.

Another thought, is it possible that the driveshaft is fine and somehow the problem lies solely on the differential? Although the vibration non existent with the original driveshaft OR now with the front shaft removed...
Unread 01-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
my guess is pinion bearings or spiders are trashed.
Agreed.
[CENTER][SIZE="1"][Color="Blue"][b]00 XJ Sport "Wannabe Desert Rat"[/b][/color](August 2012-Present) 4.0L - 160k Body, Monstalined Menace, ATK+ Longblock, 6.5" IRO Short Arm Lift, LMP Front Bumper, Bushwacker Flat Flares, Clayton DS Track Bar, ZJ V8 Steering, Quick Discos, Bilstein 5100s, IRO HnT SYE, Braided SS Brake Lines, 1" TC Drop, HiLift, #784 Injectors, Flowmaster Super 44, 33" BFGoodrich A/T on Outlaw IIs, Safari Snorkel, Autopal Harness + 80/100w H4 Bulbs[/SIZE]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/blue-waffle-build-thread-1807113"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="Blue"]Blue Waffle Build Thread[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/URL]
Built Not Bought #704[/CENTER]

[SIZE="1"][i]Past Jeeps:[/i]
[Color="Red"][B]93 ZJ Laredo[/B][/color](Jan 2011-April 2011) 5.2L - 98k, Stock - Totaled
[COLOR="Tan"][B]96 ZJ Laredo[/B][/COLOR](April 2011-August 2012) 4.0L - 138k, Cowl Intake, Rancho 9000 Series, 2" Spacers, 31" Baja MT Widetracks - Sold[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="silver"]Monstaliner: [url]http://monstaliner.com/[/url]
Iron Rock Offroad: [url]http://ironrockoffroad.com/[/url][/SIZE][/COLOR]
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #9
chaser12
1995 ZJ 

Well today I'm going to take it by a shop specializing in jeeps and have them do a diagnosis and quote it. I still haven't been able to get to the bottom of it. This way hopefully it can just be dealt with, so long it's not too pricey. I'll write back with what the outcome is. Thanks for the help.
Unread 12-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #10
Dashash
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Hate to revive the thread, and I'm in an LJ, but I figured I'd ask anyways: did you end up fixing the issue? I am having literally the exact problem. Thanks!
Dashash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
TheZaZ

I have the same issue. Now my ZJ has 270,000 miles and the VC is burned out. Drives fine with the front driveshaft out. But when I put one in it has a pretty good vibration. Havent had a chance to look into it yet.
TheZaZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.