Front driveshaft C/V joint bad, rebuild kit? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front driveshaft C/V joint bad, rebuild kit?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #1
runge17
1997 ZJ 

Front driveshaft C/V joint bad, rebuild kit?

Hi there. Recently I've noticed a clicking when accelerating coming from the front center of my ZJ. I've narrowed the noise down to the CV joint on my front driveshaft because I've figured that the clicking (which sounds similiar to the sound of a bad hub CV joint) is coming from the front diff area and determined that it is this CV joint that has gone bad.

Now my question is to people who have had this same thing happen. I'm wondering if anyone has gotten one of these and done a rebuild of the CV joint.

Now before anyone posts saying to upgrade to the u-joint shaft, I do not plan on doing that. I'm just trying to get this fixed and plan on selling the vehicle. If anyone has any prior experience rebuilding/replacing these cv joints I would appreciate the feedback on if it is a viable option or not. Also, being pointed towards the best kit/instructions would be appreciated as well.

Thanks a lot!

runge17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 05:30 AM   #2
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

If replacing a CV joint on a Jeep ZJ is anything like replacing a CV joint on most other vehicles, its probably much easier to just replace the entire axle assembly. My 93 ZJ is in need of CV's and I plan to replace both front axles.
ErikTheRad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 06:18 AM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

If the CV is bad just get a new one. It's toast.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #4
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

He said driveshaft,im guessing he has the rezeppa joint shaft
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

They're almost as expensive as a whole drive shaft and quality is very hit or miss.

I'd rather do the conversion.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Just got to a JY and get another one for cheap.
Unread 05-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
runge17
1997 ZJ 

Yes it is a rzeppa driveshaft. The cv joint on that is clicking. Any idea what a JY would charge for a entire driveshaft?

And the rebuild kit, any other threads or experiences with them?
Unread 05-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

price depends entirely on the junkyard. could be 20 bucks, could be 100. call around and ask.
Unread 05-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #9
sergio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by runge17
Hi there. Recently I've noticed a clicking when accelerating coming from the front center of my ZJ. I've narrowed the noise down to the CV joint on my front driveshaft because I've figured that the clicking (which sounds similiar to the sound of a bad hub CV joint) is coming from the front diff area and determined that it is this CV joint that has gone bad.

Now my question is to people who have had this same thing happen. I'm wondering if anyone has gotten one of these and done a rebuild of the CV joint.

Now before anyone posts saying to upgrade to the u-joint shaft, I do not plan on doing that. I'm just trying to get this fixed and plan on selling the vehicle. If anyone has any prior experience rebuilding/replacing these cv joints I would appreciate the feedback on if it is a viable option or not. Also, being pointed towards the best kit/instructions would be appreciated as well.

Thanks a lot!
I got mine from autozone. It was remanufactured for only $90 and I replaced it myself.
sergio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
runge17
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio

I got mine from autozone. It was remanufactured for only $90 and I replaced it myself.
Is the replacement fairly easy Sergio? I'm split between replacing the joint or just buying a driveshaft from the JY. Only gripe I have with new driveshaft is switching over my newish u joints and Cardin.
Unread 05-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #11
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by runge17 View Post
Is the replacement fairly easy Sergio? I'm split between replacing the joint or just buying a driveshaft from the JY. Only gripe I have with new driveshaft is switching over my newish u joints and Cardin.
It should only take you ten minutes to remove the shaft. I did it on the side of the road. I would not switch the new parts over unless you needed to. Save them as spares.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.