Front Driveline Noise/Vibration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front Driveline Noise/Vibration

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 12-16-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
MAO
1998 ZJ 

Front Driveline Noise/Vibration

Vehicle: 98 GC Laredo, 5.2L, AWD, Up-Country Suspension, Tow package. 200,000 miles.

I have had a mild whine on acceleration at 45mph+. Also had a vibration at that speed that was bad enough to jiggle the rear-view mirror.

Fresh fluid in diff and TC. Didn't look bad a year ago when it was changed other than darker.

Took out front driveshaft, the ride is as smooth as a car, no noise.

Replaced all u-joints and centering-ball in double cardin setup. Now, there is only a slight vibration at 45mph+ (mirror is still). The whine didn't change.

The guy at driveline shop said that the shaft didn't need balanced. I usually do, but he said it was overkill, based upon the normal rpm range shaft rotates.

Vibration may be a little worse on deceleration, but maybe just notice it more since you don't feel the engine torque.

Based upon what I have read on other threads, the noise is the pinion bearing. Would you agree? Or is it a bearing on the output of the TC? Or was it a mistake not to have the shaft balanced?

I guess what is confusing to me is the noise + vibration. Or am i fighting two issues here and i just eliminated the 3rd by replacing the u-joints? Thanks!

MAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 12:38 AM   #2
xjhavens
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I would check the hub bearings thay shoulnt have any play in them at all and should look like there in good shape. And the axel shaft joints.(U joints or cv) thats where I'd start. And its good maintenance to keep an eye on these things too so if you have the cash,and you haven't ever replaced them it wouldn't hurt. Just a thought. But if those two things are in good shape than I'd start looking other places.
xjhavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 01:35 AM   #3
MAO
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjhavens View Post
I would check the hub bearings thay shoulnt have any play in them at all and should look like there in good shape. And the axel shaft joints.(U joints or cv) thats where I'd start. And its good maintenance to keep an eye on these things too so if you have the cash,and you haven't ever replaced them it wouldn't hurt. Just a thought. But if those two things are in good shape than I'd start looking other places.
I appreciate the response. Hubs and axles are new within the past 2 years.

That is why I was wondering:
a) Bad pinion bearing cause a vibration at 45mph+, with slight whine
b) Should I have had the front d/s balanced, even though the tech said it wasnt needed.
c) output of TC to front diff.

Thanks!
MAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
xjhavens
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry man, can't offer ya much more help. I never had issues with either.
xjhavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
Muaymendez
1993 ZJ 

Resurecting old thred because if I don't use the search I will get flamed. Anyway
I have the same issue and there isn't a closing comment on here weather it was corrected or not.
My 93 has the same issue but only arose right after a 3.5 rough country lift. Transfer case dropped an inch. stock tires. Everything is the same except for contro;l arms springs and shocks.
Muaymendez is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.