Front drive shaft. Replace cv style with a u-joint style? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front drive shaft. Replace cv style with a u-joint style?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-05-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
bjl95mustang
1998 ZJ 

Front drive shaft. Replace cv style with a u-joint style?

I am going to get my front u-joint axles and they also have a 242 shaft from a 98 4.0 with u-joints for $25. I am swapping to a 242 this month and will this drive shaft fit?

4.5" Lift: RE 4.5" springs,Iro rear 3.5 springs+1" spacer, RE shocks, All adjustable arms, IRO front track bar and HD bracket, Rear jks track bar, 1-Ton Steering, 242 tc, 33x12.5x15 GoodYear wrangler silent tires, 15" rock crawler rims, Aussie Locker For My 44A, 760X u-joint front axles.

Soon to come Lock Right Front Locker.

Jeep Inferno member #10

Texas Jeep Club Member #78
bjl95mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2007, 11:30 AM   #2
jfowlzj95
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl95mustang
I am going to get my front u-joint axles and they also have a 242 shaft from a 98 4.0 with u-joints for $25. I am swapping to a 242 this month and will this drive shaft fit?
Im a little confused... What is this '242 shaft' you got for $25, front drive shaft? The double cardan joint (TC end of the driveshaft) will bolt up but if you had a CV joint at the axle, you're going to have to change yokes on the pinion. You'll need to ditch the yoke thats for a CV joint and get a yoke for u-joints.

CV joint pinion yoke.

U-joint pinion yoke.

Unread 05-05-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
bjl95mustang
1998 ZJ 

My drive shaft has u-joints at both ends then ther is what looks like a cv in the middle of the shaft. Is there a drive shaft that has a u-joint in the middle?

4.5" Lift: RE 4.5" springs,Iro rear 3.5 springs+1" spacer, RE shocks, All adjustable arms, IRO front track bar and HD bracket, Rear jks track bar, 1-Ton Steering, 242 tc, 33x12.5x15 GoodYear wrangler silent tires, 15" rock crawler rims, Aussie Locker For My 44A, 760X u-joint front axles.

Jeep Inferno member #10

Unread 05-05-2007, 11:59 AM   #4
bjl95mustang
1998 ZJ 

Ok, never mind. The middle is the part of the ds that slides not a joint. So i juess i'm good on the ds.

Jeep Inferno member #10

Unread 08-27-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
jeepguy10
1997 XJ Cherokee 

My CV joint

I ahve the same CV on my 1997 Jeep grand cherokee. after a wreck, the thing got damaged (ball bearings housing etc).....I am also going to a U joint.

question I have is........the yoke has up/down, sided to side movement...think the bearing got damaged from the wreck. I didnt think this should be loose.
jeepguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
jeepguy10
1997 XJ Cherokee 

If the yoke moves up/down and side to side ( not rotation)., 1/4 inch or so without the DS attached.....Is this bad?? I figured that it is bad...especially if I am making sure the DS is true. Jeep shakes at 40+. I am guessing if I took the DS off it would go away. yes, it was wreacked....just trying to figure out what I need to but for the front differential (parts??)
jeepguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 08:04 AM   #7
Dakotah
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy10 View Post
If the yoke moves up/down and side to side ( not rotation)., 1/4 inch or so without the DS attached.....Is this bad?? I figured that it is bad...especially if I am making sure the DS is true. Jeep shakes at 40+. I am guessing if I took the DS off it would go away. yes, it was wreacked....just trying to figure out what I need to but for the front differential (parts??)
Thou this is an old thread, if you happen upon it, do you remember what you did to correct the yoke from moving up and down? I've got the same issue now with my TJ.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.