Front driff stuck in axle??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front driff stuck in axle???

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 11-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
yamifj1200
1997 ZJ 

Front driff stuck in axle???

Help folks... I am trying to replace the front axle seals on my 97 JGC. I ave removed the, wheels, hub bearings, axles and diff cover. I just removed the bearing supports from both side bearings. I have tried to work the ring gear out of the center section and it won't move at all. The bearing races (cups) seem to be right up against the casting of the axle. I have tried using a wrench on the ring gear bolts and a pry bar on the ring gear itself, but it looks like its jammed into the cast axle housing.. I have seen others that fall out once the bearing supports were removed... What am I missing here???

Thanks in advance... Eric M

yamifj1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It should be in there tight to provide bearing preload. One thing that will get it started is to put a wrench on one of the ring gear bolts with the other end up against the housing. Then turn the drivehsaft and it will force the carrier out. You will probably have to pry it out the rest of the way. Another option is to get a case spreader.
durango-bob is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

A buddy of mine did his in a xj and it was in very tight so tight in fact it popped out and hit the floor lol.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
yamifj1200
1997 ZJ 

Thanks for the suggestions folks, I was unable to remove the carrier and replace my axle seals today. I hope I don't end up needing a spreader to remove it. I will try again in a couple of weeks when I got some time off.

Eric M
yamifj1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
BigJohn96ZJ
1996 ZJ 

All mine took was a large screw driver with a rag on the end and i pryed it out but it took a little force.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.