Action shot of grinding the door surface...
Damaged area after a visit from angle grinder w/ grinder disk, wire wheel, and 60 grit paper... (don't forget eye protection!)
She sat outside a little bit like this before I realized it was snowing. (I'm sure Woody is a little jelous!)
I got a hold of some 1/8" plate (dimensions in picture are 2.5" x 4") I made a template out of thin cardboard to match the area of the door...
Next, I ground plate to match the template...
Then the plate was welded to the door and then the hinge bracket to the plate. A huge thanks to my friend Craig for helping with the welding. (Yes I know I only have one bolt in, I stripped one while I was trying to put the door on by myself before I drove over to Craig's.
It is harder than you think to hold the door and gun the bolts in! Thankfully Blaine could come over and gun the bolts in for me while I held the door in place, Thanks Blaine!)
I'll post some more pictures after I clean the welds up some more and paint it.
Once the door was bolted back up, It was a little high since the extra space was added to the bottom bracket. It still closed fine if I applied a little bit of pressure to the door handle when closing. On the drive home I was thinking of ways to correct this or just live with it. I figured that if I added two washers inbetween the hinge bracket on the door and the bracket on the Jeep it would correct the small difference. As soon as I got home I did it and it works fine.
Sorry for the book!