front differential went out, can I disconnect it and still drive? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > front differential went out, can I disconnect it and still drive?

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #16
downshift93
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, so I can tell the gear ratio by confirming that it came out of a V8 jeep, thank you for that info!!

One last question that I have then is there a way I can tell from the VIN if a jeep had the V8 in it? Ill go to the junk yard and with my luck all the engines will be gone out of the jeeps and ill have wasted a trip LOL.

downshift93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #17
WJ4x4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by downshift93 View Post
Okay, so I can tell the gear ratio by confirming that it came out of a V8 jeep, thank you for that info!!

One last question that I have then is there a way I can tell from the VIN if a jeep had the V8 in it? Ill go to the junk yard and with my luck all the engines will be gone out of the jeeps and ill have wasted a trip LOL.
8th CHARACTER/DIGIT : MUST BE A

"Y" = 5.2L V8 l "Z" = 5.9L V8
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #18
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I don't know about that but ways to tell it's a V8 are the badging and on the diff cover there is a metal tag that has the gear ratio on it. If the front doesn't have it the back will. For the 96+ V8's all will have the D44a in the rear. It's visibly different than the D35c.

Obviously the easiest thing to do is to look at the badging on the truck.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #19
downshift93
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I don't know about that but ways to tell it's a V8 are the badging and on the diff cover there is a metal tag that has the gear ratio on it. If the front doesn't have it the back will. For the 96+ V8's all will have the D44a in the rear. It's visibly different than the D35c.

Obviously the easiest thing to do is to look at the badging on the truck.
I guess you could call me a little OCD when it comes to some things lol. I run into some really awesome luck sometimes and other times my luck is absolutely horrible so I try to plan for the worst case (engine gone, badge missing, ext) but expect the best. with my luck living that way helps get me by

I really appreciate everyones help on here! You guys have proven to me that this site is very reliable and with your help I will be able to overcome any issue that this jeep throws at me!

Thanks again!!
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #20
downshift93
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So Ive decided to go ahead and just take it down to a 2 wheel drive instead of trying to replace the differential.

Can someone point out to me what the stub shaft is in the pic? Im assuming that its #2 but I want to be sure before I go pulling everything apart.
jeep-pic.jpg  
Unread 11-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #21
Agent620
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Stub shaft is #2.

#3 is the hub or wheel bearing.

If you've ever been in that traffic, you would have ground down the steering wheel with a death grip too. "Just ****ing GOOOOOO!!!!"[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Luuca;15713642]I pitty anyone who tries to reach into that netting unaware.[/QUOTE]
'99 TJ (DD)
'89 XJ (WIP)
Agent620 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #22
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

If your diff is bad from broken ring gear teeth, pinion teeth, or pinion bearings.....you can take the carrier out and unbolt the ring gear. What's wrong with the diff?
Unread 11-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #23
downshift93
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks agent620! Im headed out now to work on it, wish me luck haha!
Unread 11-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #24
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Thanks agent620! Im headed out now to work on it, wish me luck haha!
Or you can also just remove the spider gears... if you just remove the inner shafts the fluid will leak out
Unread 11-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #25
downshift93
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
If your diff is bad from broken ring gear teeth, pinion teeth, or pinion bearings.....you can take the carrier out and unbolt the ring gear. What's wrong with the diff?
Well I was driving home one night and I got a flat tire. I put the little spare on and headed home (about another hour and a half drive) By the time I got about 30 minutes from home I could smell gear oil. I didnt really think anything of it at the time and kept driving. once I was about a mile from my exit I started to hear a grinding noise and then smoke. I pulled into a gas station to see what was going on and as soon as I opened the hood flames started to shoot out. I was able to get a fire extinguisher and put it out very quickly. after the flames were out I looked under the car and could see gear oil.

I let it cool off overnight and the next morning I was able to drive it back to my place (about a mile) I did have to stop once to pour water over the differential to cool it off enough to make it home. But it was making a nasty grinding sound the whole time.

Someone told me that because I rode on my small spare and my jeep is all time 4x4 that it caused the front and rear differentials to turn at different speeds and that caused my front diff to overhear, blow the seals, and catch on fire. IDK how much truth is in that but it sounded like it made since to me.

I did have a new front axle put on a week or two before this happened so Im not sure if that could have caused this to happen or riding on the spare but whatever caused it Im pretty sure that just putting some more gear oil in it wont fix the problem :-/ If you have any suggestions for me Id love to hear them!

Thanks for your help!
Unread 11-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #26
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

The donut could have absolutely overheated the spider gears. This would super heat everything in the housing and blow off through the vent hole by your upper control arm mount. I reccomend opening the diff up to inspect. New spider gears are only 60$ new and are easy to get for free from locker installs.....
Unread 11-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #27
downshift93
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Or you can also just remove the spider gears... if you just remove the inner shafts the fluid will leak out
Quote:
I was thinking about this and even if I can disconnect power from the differential, the gears inside will still be moving when I drive. Is there a way to "gut" the differential so that there are no gears in it or some other way to prevent the differential gears from moving while im driving?
Is this sort of what your talking about? I was wondering if there was a way to take the gears out of the differential and leave the axles in, I was advised on here previously against doing that.
Unread 11-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #28
downshift93
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The donut could have absolutely overheated the spider gears. This would super heat everything in the housing and blow off through the vent hole by your upper control arm mount. I reccomend opening the diff up to inspect. New spider gears are only 60$ new and are easy to get for free from locker installs.....
This sounds promising, thank you! So I can run out there and open the diff up, but I have zero idea what I would be looking for. Could I take a video and post it on here and you could help me figure out if its the spider gears?

Would the differential make that loud grinding noise if it were the spider gears that went out?
Unread 11-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #29
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Side gears/spider gears-same thing

Now that I think about it you couldn't just pull the spider gears because then the inner axles would have no support and just ride on the carrier/seal
Just posts some clear pics or videos of the diff once the cover is off.
Unread 11-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #30
downshift93
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Okay awesome, the picture really helps! Ill go out there and take the cover off and get some pics. Ill be back on here as soon as its done.

Thanks for your help speedbucket!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.