front differential went out, can I disconnect it and still drive? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > front differential went out, can I disconnect it and still drive?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 10-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
downshift93
2000 TJ Wrangler 

front differential went out, can I disconnect it and still drive?

So my front differential went out in my 95 Grand Cherokee, it has the V8 and is all time 4 wheel drive. I really need a running car right now and I dont have the money to fix the front diff at the moment. I was talking with someone and they said there was a way that I could disconnect the front differential until I can get it fixed, essentially turning it into a 2 wheel, rear wheel drive car. can anyone tell me if this is possible and if it can be done how would I go about doing it?

I really appreciate any help with this! Ive got to get a job but without a car I cant get a job

downshift93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
downshift93
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I was thinking about this and even if I can disconnect power from the differential, the gears inside will still be moving when I drive. Is there a way to "gut" the differential so that there are no gears in it or some other way to prevent the differential gears from moving while im driving?
Unread 10-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Um... yea I was gonna say if your differential is dead disconnecting the drive shaft wont do anything.. your wheels spinning will still turn the gears inside... and no you cant gut the differential and still drive at least im 90% sure on that... The wheels are connected to axel shafts which are connected to the internals of the differential.. If you remove all the gears how are your front tires going to spin ? The axle shafts will just wobble around inside..... You need a new front axle or to rebuild the one you have
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
Agent620
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Leave the hubs on, but take the shafts out(You may need to leave the stub shaft connected to the hub, I cant remember). Disconnect the driveshaft, and the gears won't spin as no axle shafts to turn them or dshaft. Problem solved.

If you've ever been in that traffic, you would have ground down the steering wheel with a death grip too. "Just ****ing GOOOOOO!!!!"[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Luuca;15713642]I pitty anyone who tries to reach into that netting unaware.[/QUOTE]
'99 TJ (DD)
'89 XJ (WIP)
Agent620 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Yea I guess that will work lol never thought about just taking the axle shafts out put leaving the actuall wheel bearing on
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
downshift93
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ill be the first to admit that I dont know all the terminology when it comes to cars lol. So is what I need to do is remove both axles on the front and then disconnect the driveshaft? The front tires will roll fine with the axles gone? I just want to make sure I know what Im doing before I go out there and start taking things apart lol. I really appreciate your help!!
Unread 10-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
Agent620
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Per thread about driving without axle shafts, from Jerry Bransford.

"Are you saying the inner shaft is gone but the short stub axle shaft that passes through the unit bearing hub is still in place? If that is the case then yes you can safely drive as much and as far as you want.

The only danger is if you remove the short stub shaft that passes through the unit bearing hub. You cannot drive the Jeep if the short stub shaft is removed which will cause the problems mentioned and shown above.

If you have the entire axle shaft out including the long half and the short half, then you can't drive it. But if it's only one of the inner (longer) shafts that has been removed, it is safe to drive like that."

If you've ever been in that traffic, you would have ground down the steering wheel with a death grip too. "Just ****ing GOOOOOO!!!!"[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Luuca;15713642]I pitty anyone who tries to reach into that netting unaware.[/QUOTE]
'99 TJ (DD)
'89 XJ (WIP)
Agent620 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Do not run without at least stub shafts in the unit bearings (hubs)!!!!!! Unit bearings are not load-bearing, and they will snap, taking your balljoints and everything else with them.

If you remove the front driveshaft in a 93-95, you'll roll in park. You'll also smoke your viscous coupler, making you need to either replace it for $$$ or swap in a different transfer case.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
downshift93
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, Im pretty sure I understand now, thank you Agent620!!

FPkites, I owned a nissan maxima for a long time and it had a viscous limited slip differential, basically it distributed the power evenly over both front wheels, so if one would slip all the power wouldnt go to that slipping wheel. So if I do this mod and turn my jeep into a 2 wheel drive there is something similar in the transfer case that evenly distributes the power and basically I will kill that part in the transfer case by doing this? is there any danger that when the viscous coupler goes out it will damage the rest of the transfer case?
Unread 10-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by downshift93 View Post
Okay, Im pretty sure I understand now, thank you Agent620!!

FPkites, I owned a nissan maxima for a long time and it had a viscous limited slip differential, basically it distributed the power evenly over both front wheels, so if one would slip all the power wouldnt go to that slipping wheel. So if I do this mod and turn my jeep into a 2 wheel drive there is something similar in the transfer case that evenly distributes the power and basically I will kill that part in the transfer case by doing this? is there any danger that when the viscous coupler goes out it will damage the rest of the transfer case?
Yes, and no.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #11
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

What we have here is similar to what you had in your Nissan, so you are correct there.

One thing to be careful of is the 93-95 ZJs with the 249 rely heavily on the viscous coupler, and as such, if the front driveshaft is removed, it will not hold its position in park. There was a modification starting in 96 that takes care of this. Running a 93-95 will cause the VC to overheat, causing premature lockup. You'll basically be in part-time 4wd all the time, causing both front and back wheels to be turned at the same rate all the time. This can cause hopping and binding, ultimately causing tire and suspension damage.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #12
downshift93
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ouch, so it doesnt sound like this will be a very reliable mod if it causes tire and suspension damage :-/ it sounds like to me Im better off just selling this jeep. Ive got the original owner that I bought it from willing to buy it back from me, but I cant really buy a car with the money that I would be getting out of it ($500) Looks like im stuck between a rock and a hard place here.

how difficult is it to rebuild the differential myself? looking at the housing around the differential and everything thats connected to it, it looks pretty daunting to take the whole thing off and put another one on. I found this video
and it got me thinking maybe I could just pull the guts out of a differential at a junkyard and put them in my differential. I would also have to replace all the seals, when my diff went out it caught on fire (only lasted for 30 seconds or so) but im sure all the seals are gone. But that video makes it look pretty easy to pull the guts out, do you think that could be a viable option?

Thanks again for all your help!! Im just trying to get my life back together and this jeep seems to be wanting to fight me every step of the way!
Unread 10-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #13
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

It won't damage any of that if the front drive shaft has been removed and you take out the axle shafts. All you have to worry about is it rolling in park.

It would be cheaper and easier to just get a J/Y D30 and replace the whole thing.
Unread 10-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #14
downshift93
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
It won't damage any of that if the front drive shaft has been removed and you take out the axle shafts. All you have to worry about is it rolling in park.

It would be cheaper and easier to just get a J/Y D30 and replace the whole thing.
I was wondering if I was misunderstanding his post, thank you for clarifying that for me!

Is the D30 just the stock differential thats on my jeep currently? If I do go to a junkyard is there any particular model jeep that I need to be looking for to get the differential from or are all the 93 to 99 jeeps that are 4x4 using the same D30 front differential? My jeep is all time 4x4 so I dont know if that makes a difference, I would assume jeep made ones that could be switched from 4x4 to 2 wheel drive. Sorry for the noob questions here, this is my first SUV and the 4x4 stuff is totally new to me.
Unread 10-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #15
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Doesn't matter except for the gear ratio needs to be the same as the rear. All ZJ's used the front D30. Just get a D30 out of any ZJ with the same gear ratio as yours. All V8's had 3:73 gears some 4.0's did but not a lot. If you get one out of a V8 then you are good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.