Front Differential repair cost - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front Differential repair cost

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Closed Thread
Unread 09-24-2006, 11:41 PM   #1
carpetking

Front Differential repair cost

Hi there, We just bought a used 2000 GC and after a couple days found that the front transfer case has a leak at the bearing point where the drive axle from the transmission attaches to it. We bought an aftermarket Service contract, but the way those things are worded, we don't know if it will cover the repair. Has anyone had this sort of problem in the past? If so, how much did it cost to have it repaired? We'd appreciate your thoughts! Thanks!

Unread 09-25-2006, 11:31 AM   #2
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

It should be covered. However the sticking point of the contract that you have "prepared for" will probably also mention that regular service intervals are required to maintian the warranty.

If you have done this, you're all set. If not, be ready for them to claim that the issue was from your lack of "upkeep" or some other term that puts blame for part failure (& repair cost) on you.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Unread 12-05-2007, 02:23 AM   #3
Briandl

He just bought it so what "upkeep" could he have missed?

If a service contract doesn't cover something as simple as that I'd be really worried, also why don't you mention this service contract in your other thread about your engine?
Unread 12-05-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
dickensheets

Is it the diff or tcase?

If it's the diff it's pretty easy plus a $10 seal. Lot's of info on here on how to do it. Or get a Haynes manual.
Unread 12-05-2007, 12:54 PM   #5
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

Diff or Transfer case? The transfer case is in the center of the Jeep where both of the axles go out of, I am guessing its the diff. (The circular thing that leads to the wheels on both sides.) If its the differential, you may just be able to drain, clean, and reseal for about $15 by yourself. If its a bearing, a bit more. Either way, talk to them about it and make sure of the fine print. If you cannot get it repaired through them, take some pics.

I am now a dealer for Iron Rock Off Road
I offer the same great products you already know about,
the same low prices you have been seeing, and with
the same experienced customer support, but I can offer it nearly 24/7

"Project Dirty Princess"
5.9 ZJ 7" IRO, 35s, 8.8, hp30, locked, blah blah

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMARJEEP View Post
Those tires look freakin awesome Redhat... took the ZJ up a notch in my book. Now you're at notch 2.
Unread 12-05-2007, 03:40 PM   #6
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Holy thread revival!

I'm thinking he probably got it fixed by now.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Closed Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.