Front differential bad - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Front differential bad

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
joshuatchandler
1998 ZJ 

Front differential bad

the fluid in my front diff is dark and smell burnt. I am having issues in sharp turns that i believe could be related to the front diff. if i disconnect the axle between the differential and T-case will this fix my problem until i can afford to fix my front diff? won't the parts in the front diff still have to spin properly even with the axle disconnected?

joshuatchandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

What is it doing on sharp turns? Disconnecting the driveshaft will ruin your VC (if it's not shot already).
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Id pull the carrier and check the carrier bearings and races.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
318jeepcherokee
1998 ZJ 

i had grinding noises from up front... it was pinion bearings.. 550 bucks later its quiet.
-1998 grand cherokee 5.9- custom intake, MTX sledge hammer sub with two JBL audio speakers in the rear doors and JVC deck, Westin safari bar with two 6' lights, Yakima load warrior with reverse lights, Hooker aero chamber muffler.
318jeepcherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
cmonson

when was the last time it was changed?

what kind of issue in tight turns.

Do you have the 249 t-case by chance. If so, the I am sure the Progressive Coupler is fryed. Issues on tight turns is a for sure indication that the PC is done.
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
robbuckeye

Hey Im having the same kind of grinding noise from up front. Pinion bearings you say? Im having no trouble turning- only the noise, so this sounds like it could be my problem as well. Can you tell me anything more about this? Thanks!!!
robbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 07:39 PM   #7
sk0073
1999 WJ 

I dont think i have the same exact problem, but theres definitely something wrong with the either the TC or front diff. I have the quadra-drive system, and when the rear loses traction there is a big pop after the tires regain traction or when i let off the gas. its been doing it very consistantely. sometimes even after traction is regained ill hear a few more smaller pop noises. local mechanic just siad theres something big wrong with the front diff, doesnt help me much, any ideas??
sk0073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk0073 View Post
I dont think i have the same exact problem, but theres definitely something wrong with the either the TC or front diff. I have the quadra-drive system, and when the rear loses traction there is a big pop after the tires regain traction or when i let off the gas. its been doing it very consistantely. sometimes even after traction is regained ill hear a few more smaller pop noises. local mechanic just siad theres something big wrong with the front diff, doesnt help me much, any ideas??
It's hard to diagnose with such a vague description but it sounds like the diff/T case for sure. Have another mechanic look at it or post some more details.
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #9
joshuatchandler
1998 ZJ 

When in a tight slow turn the truck just seems to "bind up." it feels like the front doesn't want to go and the back is doing all the work. after driving say, 50 miles, it binds up so bad that you have to press the gas peddle to get around a sharp turn (such as parking in a parking lot or parallel parking.) I also get the wheel hop from the back tires when doing these turns.

From what I've read it could for sure be the viscous coupler. I do assume it is fried like a KFC chicken wing. The only reason i think it could be the front differential now is because i checked the fluid in the front and rear diff's. The rear was clean looking and had no smell, but the front was dark colored and smelled terrible (burnt'ish.)

So say i did take out the front axle / drive shaft (btw, which one?) would this not due away with the failed viscous coupler symptoms? Also, if my front diff is going bad, even with the drive shaft out, wouldn't it still have to move about properly to allow the front wheels to spin at different speeds when turning?

I am so clueless with auto repairs.. it's such a helpless and frustrating feeling..
Unread 08-24-2009, 10:20 PM   #10
wjcando
1999 WJ 

Sometimes dirty fluid just means the fluid has to be changed. If the wheel hop (and chirping tires?) is in the rear, seems like that could indicate the problem is the rear diff. Maybe you should let a friend drive it, make some sharp turns in a parking lot, and you listen. It may be obvious where the noise and binding are.
Unread 08-24-2009, 10:42 PM   #11
sadass
5.9,242,4.56,Aussies x 2

1998 ZJ 

Well this is appears to be an easy one, common one anyway!. Your Viscous Coupling is toast, pull the front drive shaft and you will know for sure, Keep in mind it is very common for the front 65$ axle half shafts cv joints go bad when the vc in the transfer case goes bad, the bad vc Puts to much of a load on the cv axle due to the jeep front to rear binding on pavement.

Many people , my self included have swapped out our 249 for the 242 to remedy this issue. Your front diff is more than likely good. focus on the transfer case by droping the front drive shaft. then if you have clicking or grinding up front , look at the black boot covering the CV joint near the front wheels. The boots tend to tear when the c.v goes.
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 08:51 AM   #12
joshuatchandler
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadass View Post
Well this is appears to be an easy one, common one anyway!. Your Viscous Coupling is toast, pull the front drive shaft and you will know for sure, Keep in mind it is very common for the front 65$ axle half shafts cv joints go bad when the vc in the transfer case goes bad, the bad vc Puts to much of a load on the cv axle due to the jeep front to rear binding on pavement.

Many people , my self included have swapped out our 249 for the 242 to remedy this issue. Your front diff is more than likely good. focus on the transfer case by droping the front drive shaft. then if you have clicking or grinding up front , look at the black boot covering the CV joint near the front wheels. The boots tend to tear when the c.v goes.
That is interesting because i just had my bad ball joints and axles replaced. So, to save some cash in the meantime, if i remove the front axle and the front diff is bad.... is the front diff still required to spin properly to allow sharp turning? or will it be completely disengaged and the front tires will spin freely???
Unread 08-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #13
tsconver
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuatchandler View Post
That is interesting because i just had my bad ball joints and axles replaced. So, to save some cash in the meantime, if i remove the front axle and the front diff is bad.... is the front diff still required to spin properly to allow sharp turning? or will it be completely disengaged and the front tires will spin freely???
since you have a 5.9 I am assuming you also have quadratrac. If you remove the front DS with quadratrac you will also ruin your TC. THe VC in the transfer case will fail without a front DS then you have even more to repair.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #14
joshuatchandler
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsconver View Post
since you have a 5.9 I am assuming you also have quadratrac. If you remove the front DS with quadratrac you will also ruin your TC. THe VC in the transfer case will fail without a front DS then you have even more to repair.
yes i have quadra-cash. i think my vc is already toast. I plan to do a 242 swap next summer. in the mean time can i take my front axle out and drive it like that? if the front diff is bad will it still cause problems??
Unread 08-25-2009, 06:43 PM   #15
sadass
5.9,242,4.56,Aussies x 2

1998 ZJ 

Take off you front D.S and see what happens then. You TC is toast if its binding , a tell tail sign is if It binds worse after a drive like 50 mi as you stated. Your 249 is Toast. I would take my drive shaft off and only put it back on before wheeling prior to my 242 swap. If you remove the drive shaft and the noise will go away. it is probably not the diff. I would put money on it not being you diff , but the c.v axle popping under the Load of a locked transfer cased in 4x4 driven on pavement.
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.