front diff problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > front diff problems

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipArtec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300

Unread 01-01-2004, 07:37 PM   #1
tvillejeep

front diff problems

new here and was wondering if there any proned problems the the front diff in a all wheel drive model. the roaring sound is more noticable under deceleration than under pull. differential problems are about the only thing that i have no clue about. thanks for any info.

tvillejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2004, 08:08 PM   #2
JAURS

I'm starting to get the same roar/growl in my front end with my ZJ. I believe I have the Dana 35 in the front and the 44 in the rear. I have the all wheel drive NP249 transfer case also. I have a suspension lift, so maybe I'm hearing noises related to that. Hopefully someone more educated on differentials can shed some light on this issue.

2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade (stock for awhile)

Pics:
http://community.webshots.com/scripts/show.fcgi?t=slideshow&ID=108993811&key=VTeyLQ

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288067675
JAURS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2004, 01:49 AM   #3
RockPaws

The ZJ's came with Dana 30 front differential, The rear came with either the Dana 35 or 44, The 44 model was different than others, in that it had an aluminum center section.

It sounds like you both need new bearings installed in the differentials. Most likely its the carrier bearings. They seam to have been a problem. I have found 3 ZJ that I have worked on with bad bearings. One had the front diff and two the rear carrier bearings go out. One was my personal ZJ.

A stethoscope can be used to pin point which bearing is making the noise. and verify if it is the differential. Also check the gear oil for metal particles. If metal is found in the gear oil, make sure all bearings are replaced. The whole differential must be cleaned completely. I have spent 2 hours cleaning the axle tubes due to metal found. They are cleaned like a rifle bore. Its lots of work, but worth it. If they are not cleaned the metal will work its way into the new bearings. Causing more problems.
One problem area I have found is the carrier bearing preload from the factory was set too tight. The preload should be about .012, ( it was at least .020 or more from factory).

Frank
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=www.needhim.org/][COLOR=Blue]Need Him?[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
RockPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2004, 09:53 AM   #4
DrewT

It may be that your VC is going bad...unless you live in an area that snows alot, it may be cheaper to replace it with the 242 TC, since there is no VC to go out, and it can go into 2WD

-Drew
DrewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2004, 10:33 AM   #5
JAURS

I don't think my VC is going bad because around tight turns, like in the parking lot, I don't get binding or squealing from the tires. Hopefully I don't have a bearing starting to go, but if it was, is there any harm in not doing anything immediately? The noise has been there for the past 4-5K miles, basically a little after putting in my lift. It has not gotten worse, just stayed basically the same. Thanks.

2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade (stock for awhile)

Pics:
http://community.webshots.com/scripts/show.fcgi?t=slideshow&ID=108993811&key=VTeyLQ

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288067675
JAURS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2004, 04:40 PM   #6
tvillejeep

is there any chance that i might have be having spider gear problems. i took wheels calipers and rotors off the front and when i would turn the axle by hand i can hear teeth hitting together in the diff as well as feel it through the axle?
tvillejeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.