front diff locking? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > front diff locking?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 03-11-2002, 02:03 AM   #1
SoCalOCTT

front diff locking?

should my front diff ever lock...I get a slight on and off tug at the wheel making tight turns under power in FullTime and pretty severe pull as if the diff is locked in part-time 4x4. I was under the impression that part time only loccked the T-Case not the diffs. As I've only had the car for a week I will be taking the car into the dealership in another week to get checked out and was wondering if they need to do something there. Is the diff suppossed to do that..Is a locking diff what I'm feeling?

Unread 03-13-2002, 05:02 AM   #2
blah

sorry, but the only factory jeep with lockers is the jeep wrangler rubicon. not sure what t-case you have, but when in 4 part time, it locks the driveshafts together...if you are on solid pavement, you will destroy your t-case....full time 4 uses a differentiated t-case, i think, read the manual to see what kind is is before you need to shell out 2,000 buck for a new t-case. good luck! (www.duff.ws/grand_central/main.htm)<--This site is loaded with excellent zj t-case specs. well, not loaded, but enough to let you know.
blah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2002, 03:41 PM   #3
SoCalOCTT

Control-Trac
Unread 03-15-2002, 06:28 PM   #4
GrandCherokeeLifer

I had a similar problem. I had a 93 with SelecTrac. In 2HI it always drove really strange when I was trying to park or when making tight turns, like it was in 4HI. I brought it to the dealer and they said that I needed 4 new tires.? Apparently, because I didn't rotate enough, (who does?)the rear tires were more worn down than the front tires causing the rears to spin faster, in turn confusing the tranfer case into thinking that they were slipping. The new tires worked and I learned an expensive leason--always rotate.
04 VW Touareg
GrandCherokeeLifer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.